What are some skills needed to pursue a Business and Communications major (on the more specific spectrum)?

I've been thinking about majoring in this field for quite a while and I think I'm pretty qualified to excel in this field. I've had experience speaking to big crowds formally, I have quite a few connections not only with my peers but some adults who will also be helpful along the way, I think I have a clear voice when I want to say an idea of mine. Is there any other skills or ways to enhance my experience BEFORE I get into college? Thank you in advance! college business career college-major finance experience communications marketing

5

Rebecca’s Answer

I am glad to hear that you are good at communication and interested on business. Communication is an essential skills in all careers.
In the high school, you can consider to join the debate team , speech competition, story telling competition, etc. On the other hand, would you consider to do some voluntary work, e.g. you can be teacher to help the younger children on their learning or story telling to the toddlers, etc.
On the other hand, regarding your question to polish you skills on public speaking, you can consider to attend some lessons on public speaking and communication. They would teach you the skills on public skills, e.g. the pitch, tone, facial expression, gesture, etc. Probably, they would offer you opportunities to practice as well.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
2

Karen’s Answer

Hello!

A degree in communications opens doors in a multitude of fields. Being comfortable in a public speaking situation is a great skill to possess. I have a Bachelor's degree in communication and can share that there are many other skills such as critical thinking, creativity, grammar, witty, writing, story telling, project management, detail-oriented, etc. You will do classes on Social Media strategy, Management of Communication Projects, Organizational Branding, Personal Brand, Graphic Design, Storytelling for Business, Marketing, Communication Law & Ethics, to name a few.

Check out this article, it has some good info: https://www.bestchoiceschools.com/personality-traits-english-communication-majors/

Best of luck to you!
Karen

0

Silke’s Answer

Love everyone's answers!! Completely agree with Rebecca & Jake to volunteering with different clubs. I was not into clubs in high school but I realized how valuable they can be in University and finally began volunteering for a Business Club as a Program Manager and volunteered for an Online Magazine as a Social Media Manager. I started to learn how to collaborate with other teams effectively and learned about my own working habits which was very valuable.

Great to hear you enjoy public speaking and are comfortable with that! I would also suggest honing your writing skills which will only develop further with your clear voice ;) Writing skills are super valuable in any Communications position and can be a great start, especially if you don't yet have any work experience as you can get writing experience from school and volunteer opportunities. A good start is looking at the library for any writing courses and to just start writing! One of my favorite profs made us write every day for 20 mins on whatever topic we desired just to get the creative juices flowing.

Love Michael's answer about active listening as well.
0

Jake’s Answer

I would agree with Rebecca that clubs and volunteer work will help refine the skill set needed to pursue those college majors. It's great you are already comfortable speaking in front of large crowds as that will set you apart from others. As for specific skills you want to enhance before going to college, I would say your work ethic is a must. To get through the transition from high school to college, your work ethic will be crucial to stay on top of assignments. It's a great skill to have as it will translate to the workplace.

"If you can't outsmart them, outwork them."
0