Skip to main content
4 answers
Asked Viewed 69 times Translate

If I wanted to be a lawyer and professional orchestral musician, what are some schools I should look at and how should I go about that with the college process?

I’m a junior in high school that plays classical cello and wants to pursue law. I want to double-major in music performance and either a major that’ll help me with law or doing a pre-law program. I want to look outside of conservatory-ivy league partnerships. music law lawyer college classicalmusician law-school

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you

100% of 4 Pros

4 answers

Updated Translate

Christopher’s Answer

Do you want to specialize in any particular area of the law? For example, if you wish to be an intellectual property attorney, it's critical to have the right undergraduate degree. That would include areas such as chemistry, computer science, engineering, etc. If you wish to specialize in Tax Law, then an accounting degree is required. You can leverage your musical studies in an entertainment law practice, or Intellectual property practice focusing on music. An excellent preparation for law school is any undergraduate course the requires expository writing. You will do a lot of writing in law school, especially if you are invited to join Law Review or any of the journals.

Chris O'Brien Esquire
Member of Massachusetts Bar
New England Law 1995

Christopher recommends the following next steps:

Research the different practice areas of law and determine what you are most interested in.
Talk to lawyers who practice in that area. You State Bar association will help you identify candidates.
Updated Translate

Karen’s Answer

Hi Heather,

Community colleges offer music associate programs for a fraction of the price you would pay at a 4-year institution, this is 50% of getting your bachelor's degree. So you could do that to start higher education while saving money that you later would invest in continuing your education. You can also be part of Mass Transfer which helps students with this kind of transition from 2-year to 4-year institutions.
With law degrees, I know students who start with a criminal justice associate to later pursue a career in law, so it depends on what you want to do.
I personally like to connect my students with program advisors so that they can get a different perspective from someone that not only teaches what they will learn but also works in the field.
Hope this helps.

Karen Ruiz Leon
Berkshire Community College
Updated Translate

Lani’s Answer

Start connecting with professionals in the legal field or music field. People are flattered when asked about what they do and you can surely get the most accurate information. Try making connections on LinkedIn. is another resource for connecting with like-minded people. Also, connect with people from your hometown.
Updated Translate

mitch’s Answer

Take classes that require lots of writing (of any kind), and speaking or debate. I don't know the music world, but many colleges have both law and music departments. Your undergraduate degree doesn't need to be "pre law." I think a journalism/mass communications degree, or any writing degree, or political science, are among the many that can help prepare you for law school.