When employers list a specific GPA requirement, is it final?

I ask this because I am a electrical engineering major and I don't have a 3.0 GPA, which seems to be the threshold for most companies looking to hire college students. I would like to apply for most companies but I do not meet this requirement. I want to note that I usually don't meet this requirement and about two or three more, an my GPA is not even close to a 3.0. Does this requirement automatically disqualify me from the position or should I apply regardless of my GPA?

Thank you.

Question Topics

icon-country-tagsunited-states-of-america

1122

17

One comment

One answers:

Hi Augusta,

Usually the larger companies are more rigid in their requirements, so I would focus my job search on the smaller companies. Write a good cover letter with your resume, and address the problem head-on. "while I realize my GPA is not quite 3.0, I know I will be a good fit for this position because of my skill in doing XYZ...I am asking for the ability to prove myself to you. ...."

You can also submit some resumes where you leave off your GPA, and don't mention it in the cover letter, unless the job announcement specifically requests it.

Job search is a little strange. You try a few different approaches, and one will end up working!