Augusta I.

1197

17

When employers list a specific GPA requirement, is it final?

I ask this because I am a electrical engineering major and I don't have a 3.0 GPA, which seems to be the threshold for most companies looking to hire college students. I would like to apply for most companies but I do not meet this requirement. I want to note that I usually don't meet this requirement and about two or three more, an my GPA is not even close to a 3.0. Does this requirement automatically disqualify me from the position or should I apply regardless of my GPA?

Thank you. #computer-science #internships #tech #entry-level #java

1 comment Click to expand

Hi Augusta,

Usually the larger companies are more rigid in their requirements, so I would focus my job search on the smaller companies. Write a good cover letter with your resume, and address the problem head-on. "while I realize my GPA is not quite 3.0, I know I will be a good fit for this position because of my skill in doing XYZ...I am asking for the ability to prove myself to you. ...."

You can also submit some resumes where you leave off your GPA, and don't mention it in the cover letter, unless the job announcement specifically requests it.

Job search is a little strange. You try a few different approaches, and one will end up working!

Last updated Mar 05 at 21:03

Hi Augusta, If the role is something you are excited about, apply! The GPA requirement usually is a soft requirement at many places and is used a proxy for work experience. The rationale is that if you are a 3.0 student, you must have some of sort of work ethic to get good grades. What this requirement often doesn't take into account is that engineering and STEM majors (due to their difficulty) will often have lower median GPAs. At top engineering programs, a 2.8 - 3.0 is common because the programs are notoriously difficult. When applying, don't mention your GPA. Focus on why you are excited about that job. Also list projects you've worked on and what you learned from them. These can be school projects or things you've done in your free time with a technical bend. The more you can show that you have the enthusiasm, passion, and drive to be successful, the more appealing you'll be to the hiring manager. Finally, there is no downside in applying. Worst case scenario, they don't offer an interview. Job searching is often a numbers game. All it takes is one company to say yes.
Last updated Oct 04 at 16:05

icon-country-tags Ashburn, VA, USA

Schools Add a schools