4 answers

How many years do you have to go to school to be a sports trainer?

Updated Laurinburg, North Carolina

This is my back-up plan in case modeling don't work out. #sports #training #entrepreneurship #college-advice #professional-training

4 answers

Patricia’s Answer

Thank you for your message. First you should always pursue a college degree in a field of interest. I would highly recommend you meet with your High School Career Counselor for other ideas and recommendations. Second - you can easily do a Google search for: "How many years of College Do I need to for a Sports or Athletic Trainer"? Third, talk to your career counselor about internship opportunities as a Sports Trainer to see if this would be the right career for you to consider as a second career. Good Luck! Patricia Dorch

Carole’s Answer

Updated Rancho Palos Verdes, California
To become an Athletic Trainer you must have a B.A. degree and many of the trainers go on to get their Masters. The curricula involves science and health related subjects such as nutrition, kinesiology, biomechanics and exercise physiology, Experience requirements include supervision in clinics and internships. So the schooling would be 4 yrs plus if you wanted more education or experience in the field. According to the bureau of Labor Statistics most states require trainers to be licensed or registered. Licensing and registration are given by the Board of Certification, which requires that applicants have a degree from an accredited school and a passing score on a qualifying exam. There are also some continuing education requirements. Make sure the school that you choose has a good program for this area of choice, and research the programs at different schools so that you have a comparison for this particular major. I also would interview some Athletic Trainers to get an opinion from someone who is doing the job you would like to do. Sometimes they will let you shadow them as on the job training. I wish you luck in your search, and hope that you will research the schools of interest before you decided on what school is the best for you. It is also important to find the right school and if they have a master program, or internship that you might want to apply for.

Julio’s Answer

It depends on the type of training that you're interested in specializing. If you want to be a personal trainer that helps the general public in reaching their fitness goals, such as losing weight, you could get away with just a high school diploma and being certified as a personal trainer. However, to improve your likelihood of getting hired a bachelor's degree (4 years of college) in Kinesiology or Exercise Physiology would greatly help. However, if you want to be a strength and conditioning coach for a collegiate sports program or professional sports team, a Master's degree or PhD, also in Kinesiology or Exercise Physiology, are pretty much required. This would be 4 years of college to get you bachelor's degree, plus 2 years for your Master's degree or on average 5 to 8 years to get your PhD. Additionally, getting certified as a Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) is good for either, but, first, you need a bachelor's degree to get it, not to mention it's required by most collegiate and professional sports programs for their strength and conditioning coaches. The regular personal trainer certification doesn't require a college degree.

Vicki’s Answer

Updated Rising Sun, Maryland
Shyheim, Julio has some great information for you. Think about what he said and also, explore CareerOneStop.org. It is the US Department of Labor's resource for career exploration. You can read in detail about each of the suggestions Julio made.