What is the HRIS software program?

3

I am asking because I'm currently in school for an associate's degree in Human Resources. I have not come across this software program at all during my schooling. I'm wondering what it is, the functions of the software program, and are there any classes to take in order to use the program? I've noticed that on most job applications knowing how to use this software program is a requirement. Among other human resource software programs. #computer-software #human-resources #compensation #payroll #talent-acquisition #talent-management

3

Adam’s Answer

2

HRIS, Human Resources Information Systems, are software applications that enable HR professionals to manage their organizations. A good solution (shameless plug, I work for Workday which is widely considered to be the best) will cover every element of an employee lifecycle from recruiting to onboarding (benefits enrollment), time and leave, payroll, performance evaluations and compliance reporting in addition to analytics. A good HRIS provider will enable users to predict things like when an employee might be at risk of leaving the company, or whether top performers are paid at market rate, and which teams work best together.

I know Workday offers internships, so looking for internships with software companies that provide HRIS might be a good place to start. Otherwise, most people get experience with HRIS systems by learning them on the job.

Other companies providing HRIS include: Ultimate, Oracle, SAP/SuccessFactors, SumTotal, Kronos, and more. Google these companies and watch their videos to learn more.

Thank you! montessa E.
2

Joseph A.’s Answer

1

Hi Montessa,

Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS) have evolved over the years from simple electronic record keeping systems to viable workplace tools for human resources professionals. Depending on the sophistication and complexity of the HRIS, they can help HR professionals with maintaining training and development data, performance management, succession planning, recruiting and selection, compensation record-keeping, and many other HR-related activities, Many organizations integrate their payroll systems and time management (time clock) systems with their human resources management systems for better service and interface of information. Some HRIS assist recruiters with resume scanning and storage and can even flag archived resumes for a possible match when jobs become vacant. HRIS have become more sophisticated as the needs of organizations have demanded. Many organizations now permit employees to access parts of the company's HRIS so that employees could update certain information such as change of address or income tax exemptions. Many organizations have scanned employees' hard copy personnel records into their HRIS to go paperless (or as paperless as possible) maintaining electronic employee records. Organizations should select the HRIS that best suits their needs and provides optimal support, although cost can be a factor for some organizations.

1

Molly’s Answer

0

There are many to choose from. Do your research. Use Google, other social media, literature, The Harvard Business Review for researching your topics of interest. See if you can find a professional or two in your area to set up a 30 minute meeting or conference call to ask questions, get insight and feedback. What would they have done differently, if they had known what profession they would end up with? People love to share their stories and it could help you avoid some early mistakes in your career.

0