How do I decide what I want to do for the rest of my life? I want to do so much and do not know how to limit myself.

I am struggling with what I want to study and then do after college because so much appeals to me, but I do not know what to do. Right now, I am looking to possibly transfer schools because one school offers more options for me to explore, but I also love what I am studying at my school now. #college #career #college-major #university #career-counseling #career-path #careers #college-selection #undecided

Gary Stephen’s Answer

Hi, Good question. You have a good answer above from Kim and I wanted to add a little to that. Like she said, you do not have to decide what you are going to do with the rest of your life, what you can do is think about the next 1-5 years and the more immediate future. Your career and job will change over your lifetime, no doubt about it but I would strongly suggest being flexible and ready to change. Some jobs will go away, other jobs will show up and be new and exciting and you may want to switch jobs/careers, go back to school or get re-trained in another field. One of my favorite sayings is "Life is a Journey, not a Destination". Good luck and enjoy the journey! :)

Hi that's a big and good question !! As the previous poster stated you don't have to choose a career to stay at the rest of your life !! Sometimes our interests and what need from careers change over time. Try out different opportunities to see what you truly enjoy !!

Hi Alexa!

Nobody expects you to know what you want to do for the rest of your life, and quite honestly, most people don't know! Unless you are determined to become a doctor or attorney, you have a lot of flexibility right now. If you are not sure, it makes sense to explore other fields. You can use your electives to do things like take an Accounting or Astronomy class, for example. You should also do whatever you can to explore other careers on-line.

A few years after you have graduated, you will find that it does not matter so much WHAT degree you have, so long as you have one. I have met bankers with Chemistry degrees, Marketing professionals with Sociology degrees, etc. A lot of degrees can be used in ways you never thought of. For example, an indepth background in agricultural science might land you a job in sales in that particular field. Keep your options open for the first 1.5 - 2 years of school. Focus on taking the basic required courses, and continue to explore!

Best of luck! Kim

Alexa, Kim here is right on with her advisement. For instance, I started out in the medical field as an LPN. I am now back in school doing what I always wanted to do Psychology. My long-term goal is to become an Applied Behavior Analysis. My desire is to work with special needs children and possibly adults to help them achieve their own goals. Exploration of possible field helps you gain a better understanding of what you may like or what you are good at based off your own skill sets. Either way a degree can open doors to options later on for graduate school and beyond. Kim, is correct explore your options this will serve you well. All the best to you, Chandice