Robin K.’s Avatar

Robin K.

2

What do you do when you don't have the answer for an interview question?

Updated Hamilton, Ohio

Let's say you're in an interview, and they ask you if you have any experience in this field. Instead of saying just "no", how could you word it better? #job #interviews #job-application

If the question is "have you any experience using Microsoft Word?" and you do not, the answer is simply "no". If the question is more general and pertaining to the job you are applying for than the answer will never be just "no". Why are you applying for that job? At that company? Your reply will be something like "no, I've never done <that> but I've always wanted to ..... " and this is where you get creative, sell yourself, and show you've done your homework. "No, I've never used a cash register before but I want to become a manager and maybe own my own Subway one day and to do so I will need to learn how to do all jobs .... " Basically you need to communicate that even if you are lacking some skills you want this job with this company and are willing to learn. I hope this helps.

Last updated Apr 08 '17 at 11:02 PM

Always be prepared for questions like this. It is all about how you frame your answer. If you dont have any direct experience you could use life experience or a related field that you may have had exposure to as a talking point. For example, you are interviewing for a front desk position bit only have retail experience. When asked you can say " As for reception I dont have any direct experience, but its my undersranding that a large part of being a receptionist is customer service. In retail roles in the past I have gained extensive experience in working with customers, handling calls, and dealing with irrate customers." Always study the application you filled out online. The responsibilities and candidate qualifications tell you their expectations. You want to have creative ways to speak to those things. Lastly, remember they would not have pulled your resume from the thousands that they recieve if you weren't somehow a match. Just do your homework, answer the question directly, but follow up with relatable information that speaks to your qualifications.

Last updated May 10 '17 at 07:09 PM

Adding to Karyn's excellent answer. . . Sometimes you can show that not only do you want to learn, but that you have the aptitude (ability) to learn. For example, let's say the job requires doing an end-of-shift cash balancing report, and you have never done that. But, you have taken and excelled at math classes or accounting classes. Then you would give that as a reason why you know that you would be able to quickly pick it up. So you want to combine both the desire to learn and the aptitude to learn. You never want to leave a cold, hard "no" just floating around in their minds. Always find a way to soften it!

Last updated Apr 09 '17 at 12:41 PM

The best way to express is by telling, "So far I never had an opportunity to have an exposure in that area, but would be really excited to have one".

Last updated May 10 '17 at 06:57 PM