5
Asked 381 views

Is there any travel in being an Information Security Analyst

Need more information.

5

1

Ken’s Answer

Generally, the only travel opportunities for security analysts are for training or conferences. If you're looking to travel more frequently in the information security field, you may want to look at consulting. As a consultant, you may need to visit customers on site to discuss their security needs, requirements, and develop a plan to meet those needs. The consulting field can cover a wide range of disciplines from compliance, vulnerability assessments, penetration testing, security engineering, audit, etc. Just keep in mind that thanks to COVID, people are travelling less so there's no guarantee that you will be travelling all of the time.

Ken recommends the following next steps:

If any of those other roles seem interesting, look into them and see if that might be a field you'd like to pursue.
Talk to or interview someone in those fields to get a better understanding of what they do.
Thank you comment icon This was super helpful, thank you! James
1
0

Brandon’s Answer

Yeah there is definitely travel when it comes to the career but you also have to be mindful that you don't have to travel in today's day and age it is often easier to do hybrid work but me personally I think having face to face interaction is also good
Thank you comment icon Hi Brandon! Thanks for your answer — could you provide some more details in your answer about what kind of travel this career might involve? Where, how long, how often, things like that might be of interest to this Student. Thanks in advance! 😁 Alexandra Carpenter, Admin
0
0

Ravindra’s Answer

Information security analyst's role is to manage data security. Generally there is very less to no travel involved in these kind of job roles.
0
0

Atul’s Answer

It depends upon the company.
If the company wants you to attend trade shows or wants you to get acclimated what is new evolving things which requires you to attend events you may have to travel.
However, with the covid pandemic, many companies are limiting these travels.
The reality is that travel is part of the life if you want to advance in your career.
Thank you comment icon I appreciate you taking the time to answer this. James
0
0

Timothy’s Answer

As others have said, companies’ responses to the COVID environment have opened up opportunities for remote work in all industries and Information Security Analyst positions certainly lend themselves to remote work.

Of course, depending on your exact definition of “Information Security Analyst” (there are many BTW) there may be some opportunities for travel if that is your goal. To piggyback on Ken’s response, consulting is a good option, but there is also auditing/professional services to consider. Many of my clients are beginning to return to the office and see value in auditors and consultants being onsite. In addition, there are some things that can only be examined in person as not everyone has moved systems entirely to the Cloud as of yet.

When I first started my career, I travelled about a third of my time, around 80 nights per year or so, and had colleagues that were gone even more. The industry may never get back to that level of travel, as I see some sort of hybrid approach going forward. However, there are always opportunities to those that are willing to work hard and be flexible.
0