16
Asked 216 views

What requirements are needed to work as an I.T.?

What are some things that I would need to learn and improve to work as an I.T.? Are there programs that would help me or certain classes that would help? If you can tell me what is needed it would really help me.

16

3

Jimil’s Answer

In order to work in IT it benefits you to get a bachelors and preferably a masters degree as well. In doing so, you can help to increase your odds of getting a job. Furthermore, taking your own time to learn about popular software tools that companies are already using can be a great way to get into IT. If you look at jobs on linkedin and see what the requirements are, you can find out what software companies are using. Additionally, creating your own LLC is a great way to display these types of experiences on your resume before you are hired at a big firm. For IT, there are many types of CRMs used such as Salesforce; among others. In the United States, U.S. citizens are able to get clearance for government contracts as long as they have a clean record. This clearance gives you access to many jobs that the general job market does not have access to.
3
1

Rebecca’s Answer

Thank you for your question. I am glad to hear that you are interested to develop your careers in Technology.
There are many different roles in Technology, e.g. Developer, System Support, Application Support, Database Administrator, Network Administrator, Cyber Security Specialist, etc. Each of these roles may have further specialization. e.g. Developer role - there are web developer, apps developer, system developer, ERP developer, etc. Each of these role may have their own specific domain of knowledge.
To answer your question, below are my suggestions :
1. Suggest you take Computer Science course in the college that can give you an overview on the Tech remit
2. Find out more on these roles and identify what you have interest
3. Speak to Professors and Alumni on the roles you have interest
4. Explore any intern opportunities on your interested roles
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
1
1

Wilson’s Answer

Hi Raymond,

It depends on what you want to pursue in IT because there are many things you can do in IT.

If you wanted to pursue in IT Help Desk, you can certify yourself in CompTIA A+ to get you started with introduction to IT topics. In your free time, you can try working on troubleshooting your own computer problems or your friend that may have issues with their own computer.

If you wanted to pursue Cybersecurity, I would recommend trying out Capture-the-Flag (CTF) competitions to get you gearing on penetration testing. If you want to understand cyber policies like NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) or HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), that works too if you want to get into consulting for clients in drafting policies and security advisement.

If you wanted to get into Networking, you can certify yourself in CompTIA Network+ to get you started with introduction to Network topics. If you have a router that you can work with, that would be a good start in learning the basics in networking (Wi-Fi setup, IP allocation, etc.). Once you get the hang of it, you can pursue other network certifications like CCNA.
1
1

Hi, Raymond,

There are many opportunities in IT, so education choices vary. Many community colleges offer computer science and server administrator programs that can be good entry points for IT. Careers vary from web developers and their skill set to software programmers and their skill set. There is also the UNIX/LINUX server administrator position that is vital throughout the industry and that is the standard architure for internet applications. Although a two-year degree will give you a good start, a four-year degree can pposition you even better. Regardless of your approach, speak with your instructors on your concerns, as they can give good insight on career opportunities they are aware of. I encourage you to start learning a sampling of languages, such as HTML, CSS, javascript, and may be lauguage such as C++, not to become expert, but to become familiar with the basic concepts you will face. All the best to you in this.
1
0

Brandy’s Answer

I've got to agree with all of the others who have answered. IT is a broad field and ever changing. Someone mentioned Comptia A+ which is where I started with the intent to go into a security branch in Corporate IT. I have both an associates and bachelors focused on IT and security management. I currently have tenure with my current employer and have not put my degrees to use. It is still a direction that has my curiosity and penetration testing was a direction I had wanted to take due to my personal interest. I would recommend starting with the basic certifications and C++ which is widely looked for in most technology jobs.
0
0

Joseph’s Answer

First off, saying you want a job in IT is like saying you want to be a doctor. The term IT is extremely broad. There is software development, cyber security, video game creation and many others. So first you want to read up on some areas that interest you and dwindle down the options and focus on a specific field in IT. Remember, the IT field is always changing and always growing. As mentioned by the other gentleman answering your question, schooling is extremely important the higher degree, the better job you'll secure, but be prepared to continue the learning journey the rest of your career as certificates and additional degrees will be necessary to stay relevant. Good luck and enjoy.
0
0

Will’s Answer

Get your foot in the door in customer service, move to helpdesk, work on certifications, CompTIA A+, networking certs etc.
0
0

Monique’s Answer

Hi! I love all of the answers here and they are very helpful, but I would like to throw in the self-taught aspect of it. College courses are great, but having that real world application under your belt is great when you're in an interview. I also recommend certificate programs, like the Google IT Support program (they also have IT Automation, UX Design, Project Management, Data Analytics, and Digital Marketing [All from Google]). Doing these will give you some information you may not have learned in your college courses and provides a certificate of completion, thus showing you are a forever student.
0
0

William’s Answer

Hey Raymond!

Physics and Mathematics are compulsory if you intend to study Computer Science or Computing in the college.

Attending classes in CompTIA programs like A+, N+, Server + and Security + will expose you to the general aspects of IT Support, Networking and Security.

Codecademy.com, Microsoft, Google and AWS learning platforms can help in aspects like CLoud Computing, Application Development, E-Commerce, Data Science and AI.

There many programming courses online, especially, C/C++/C# track and Java are are among the fundamentals.
0
0

Hermione’s Answer

I agree with everyone else on the foundation training for work in I.T. In addition, it can be a big help to study Business classes. My husband and I both work for Microsoft. One piece of what got us those jobs was the Business side of our resumes and experience. He got a Bachelor's in Business along with early work experience helping the IT department at the Business school. My BA was Theater, but I studied Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep | Project Management Classes https://rmcls.com/ and got the PMI Project Management Professional (PMP) certification https://www.pmi.org/certifications/project-management-pmp. He works more directly with technical people than I do because of his training and background. I'm more interested in the business programs developers create things for, so my work is more focused on helping developers understand what we need to build, and why.

Many companies need people who understand both technical and business skills. This is especially true for management roles. Having background in either technology or Business can help get a job in IT companies. Having both can be especially helpful.

Hermione recommends the following next steps:

See if your current school offers classes in Business or Technology skills.
Look for short free tutorials online in technical or Business skills, (on the business side, try "Management", "project management", delegation, leadership to start).
See what courses and skills are more interesting and suit you best.
Once you have a more specific vision of what you'd like to do - ask (here, or anyone you know in that field) what schools, and/or certifications are respected in that field. This changes over time, so checking again helps if it's been a year since you last asked.
Look for any opportunities to get work experience - volunteering, projects for friends, community or non-profit groups can all give experience you can put on your resume and help you see what you like to do.
0
0

Jason’s Answer

Hello and Great Question. Javascript languages / AI and Machine Learning are some of the hottest fields right now. I would research a day in the life of the type of role you are looking for. Also, certifications help a lot.
0
0

Olivia’s Answer

First identify the field and area you want to learn and specialized
Platform or Operative System
Database administration
Busines intelligence
Data Engineer or Data Scientist
Developers
Testin
Project manager

then you can study courses, training and certification exams
there are bootcamps too
0