Kelly I.’s Avatar

Kelly I.

61

1

I am interested in pursuing a career in nursing. will it be worth it to go to a community college or a university?

I have looked all over the internet to find out what is better to do. There is a shortage on nurses, which means lots of jobs. I want to know if it is necessary to go to either. My dream is so go to a university and have the college experience. I also want to come out with a job and only a little bit of debt. This scholarship would help me follow my dreams of going to a university and being a certified nurse.. #nursing #health-science #medical-practice #money #scholarships

1 comment Click to expand

Hello Kelly, Your question is very heavy. I will try my best to give you some advice and hopefully it is useful to you and what you may want to accomplish. Everyone know that a college education is by far the best investment anyone can make in their life. With that being said a university investment comes at a high cost. Yes, you do have the experience of leaving home, becoming an adult, eating ramen noodles day in and day out, and even making lifelong friendships but also the cost of tuition now is very high. There is no way around that. You can work at getting a high GPA in high school and hope to get scholarships and grants that will cover tuition. You may also have to work 1 or even 2 jobs to pay for the rest of the bill but everything is doable. The debt that you collect whether you go to a community college or a university will come from bad decisions. Applying for those extra credit cards, demanding a brand new car, and maybe even the high end apartment will all contribute to your debt. If you attend a community college close to home, you may save on the cost of living but if you make those same bad choices, you will still incur the same amount of debt. The only advice is that whatever you decide, it is your decision and it makes you happy and you will regret nothing in the future. I personally incurred a substantial amount of debt going to a university. During my undergraduate years, I learned a lot about life outside of the books. I learned how to be financially responsible how to fix things on my own and I made friendships that I still have today. A BS also allowed me to continue my education and receive a PhD and now I know that at some point I will be debt free. Good luck in search of your decision.
Last updated Sep 14 '17 at 12:21

Definitely community college . As long as you went to an ACCREDITED (do your homework and make sure they are accredited) school, you will take the NCLEX and become a licensed RN. It is far more inexpensive.

Community college can be the same as a university. You will meet fun people and have a social life while taking prerequisites for nursing school . However, during nursing school you will be close to your cohorts (classmates). Nursing school is like boot camp. You are taught a new way of thinking and the people going through the same curriculum are the only ones who can truly understand. Prepare to put much of your life on hold for two years.

But wait, there's more! If you borrowed money to get your nursing degree, the hospital you work for might pay the debt if you commit to a two year contract. This is an excellent opportunity to pay off debt and perhaps have the company also pay for a BSN, This is a win/win situation.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Scott Fontenot, RN

Last updated Aug 16 at 00:42
Hi Kelly! More and more hospitals and clinics are hiring nurses with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree rather than Associate degree. I will share my personal experience with you: I first took all of my prerequisites at the city colleges to cut down on the cost of my education. I then applied to multiple nursing programs - LPN program; Associate degree program at the community colleges; and BSN program at both a public university and a private university. I got accepted and completed my BSN at the public university. I received financial assistance and only had a small loan, which was later paid by the public hospital affiliated with my university where I got my first RN job. I did not live on campus when I was studying either. Maybe I missed on some college experience but I did a lot of studying instead. You have to make smart choices to be as debt free as possible. Good luck!
Last updated Nov 06 '17 at 00:29
I've worked with lots of nurses over the years. It's the person, not the institution from which s/he graduated, which makes a great nurse: intelligence, work ethic, attention to detail, empathy. If you wanted to go into nursing education (dire need for nurse educators) then your undergraduate institution might be important, but never in the work-a-day world. Get the most bang for your buck: get the degree, as quickly, as cheaply as you can, because everybody will likely be paid the same. Levels of nursing education that I am aware of that determine pay scale: LVN vs. associate degree RN vs. BS RN. Don't limit yourself: go for the BS RN. You might want to go into education or nurse anesthesia or industry later in your life, and you will need that 4 year degree.
Last updated Sep 27 '17 at 07:57