Skip to main content
2 answers
3
Updated 633 views

Why did you pick that career What do you like about it? How long did your training/schooling take?

I'm a freshmen and i wanted to know how long does it take to become a civil engineer


3

2 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Karim’s Answer

Hello Efrain!

Most times it will take you at least 4 years of university for a Bachelor of Science degree. However, as a civil engineer you will likely need additional schooling, and I would recommend you would look into becoming what a called a licensed Professional Engineer or PE (if you are looking to work in the United States that is). The PE is a great addition to have especially as a civil engineer where you will typically be involved with municipal buildings and codes.

I can speak as a Mechanical Engineer, the most that I like about my work is a get to tackle a lot of different problems in my day to day work. Studying for my degree was very difficult and you will learn that failure is just a big a part of studying as success, so be prepared to have things not go your way all the time, but if you apply yourself and keep at the process no matter how difficult it may seem, you will come out the other end successful in the path you have chosen!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Peter’s Answer

I actually did not go into Engineering until after I got my Batchelor's Degree in Molecular Biology. The Environmental Movement was just getting underway. I had gotten interested in Water Issues, so I applied to a number of graduate programs in Water Resources. I went to the University of Washington for a masters program in water resources in the Civil Eng. Dept. It was the best decision of my Life. I got an MS in Engineering and eventually obtained my PE license in Civil. I enjoyed a long and interesting career in Water Resources. Civil Eng. offers a wide variety of career choices and if you work hard in college, it can lead to a rewarding career that is always in demand.
0