What are the top 3 best industries within IT?
Hi! I'm looking to enter IT. I want to know the best sectors or industries to work in.
By industries, I mean the following areas that use information technology:
- Oil & Gas
- Advertising / Apps (i.e: FAANG companies: Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Google) and other social media app co.'s
- & More!
An industry I wanna work in is one that:
- provides good work/life balance
- values curiosity, learning, and well-being
- is stable (meaning people don't get let go frequently)
Great query! Based on monster.com, the leading 5 sectors for IT include: 1. Manufacturing, 2. Health care, 3. Retail, 4. Education, and 5. Agriculture.
Regarding specific IT careers, Cybersecurity offers numerous opportunities. Additionally, artificial intelligence (AI) has been highly sought after recently.
Best of luck!
To find the best industry for you, start by identifying the domains you're interested in and what aspects of those domains appeal to you. This will help you make a meaningful impact. It's also important to consider your current skills and interests. Are you a programmer who loves coding and creating products? Do you enjoy testing products to ensure they function properly and identify potential failures? Or perhaps you prefer working in a creative capacity, whether it's designing products, marketing them, or tackling challenges in inventive ways. IT roles offer plenty of opportunities for creativity. Additionally, IT and software companies often have positions in legal, finance, and HR departments.
Feel free to share your interests and skillset with us, and we'll gladly offer guidance based on our experience. Best of luck on your journey!
Rodrigo Andrés Morales Ortega
Rodrigo Andrés’s Answer
Healthcare IT: The healthcare industry is increasingly relying on technology to improve patient care, manage electronic health records, and enhance operational efficiency.
Cybersecurity: With the ever-increasing threat of cyberattacks and data breaches, cybersecurity has become a critical concern for organizations across various industries.
Technology Consulting: Working in technology consulting allows you to apply your IT skills and knowledge across different industries. Consulting firms provide services to various clients, including government agencies, businesses, and organizations in sectors like finance, manufacturing, retail, and more.
It's essential to explore different sectors, research their specific characteristics, and consider how they match your priorities regarding work/life balance, learning, and stability.
I hope this helps! Good luck!
1. Software development: Software developers are the cool folks who create, test, and maintain software applications. This field is super popular, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that jobs for software developers will increase by 22% from 2020 to 2030, which is way faster than most other jobs.
2. Information security: These amazing professionals keep an organization's data and systems safe from cyberattacks. This field is also growing quickly, with the BLS expecting a 33% increase in jobs for information security analysts from 2020 to 2030.
3. Cloud computing: Cloud computing pros are in charge of designing, setting up, and managing cloud computing solutions. This field is expanding rapidly because more and more businesses are moving their apps and data to the cloud.
It's essential to find an industry that aligns with your passion. IT is present in various fields, and in the modern world where data drives everything we do, almost any sector will have opportunities for IT professionals. I suggest you consider another perspective: explore different areas within IT, such as data development, cybersecurity, networking, etc., to determine what best suits your interests and aspirations as an IT professional.
Michael recommends the following next steps:
Thank you for your question. Many of the industries you have listed will have companies that offer much of the benefits you are seeking. It is important to evaluate each company individually to ensure they have the desired work environment you are seeking. Using your alumni relations team at your college/university may help with identifying individuals that have worked in companies you are considering to help decide if they are a right fit for you. Also consider the organizations mission, ask yourself, are the organization your are interested in solving problems that interest you?
As for the top 3 sectors within IT that are in demand. Information Technology skills are highly sought after, so whatever skill you decide to learn will help you in your career journey. Currently, I would say AI, Cloud Computing, and Cyber Security are in high demand. However, the technology environment is always changing so it is important to continue to upskill throughout your career!