Introverts in Engineering?

I'm curious about whether which engineering majors require more presenting and talking to large groups in both college/university and the real world. I just heard that mechanical has a lot of presenting ideas and would like to know about the other engineering majors. #engineering #mechanical-engineering #industrial-engineering #software-engineering #civil-engineering #chemical-engineer

Kevin’s Answer

Updated Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I would say the Industrial/Systems Engineering field is more for extroverts, because you end up having to interact with a wide range of people to perform you duties (line workers, clerk, upper management, mid management, leads, IT, sales, etc.). For Introverts, look for more of the areas where you are focused on deep analysis and design (Electrical, Mechanical, etc.).

Andrew’s Answer

Updated Mountain View, California
The key is to know what is your weakness and strength. Most of the time people spend too much time to improve weakness but it is not the way to go. Of course, it is good to learn and improve it but It is better to know your strength and make it even better. You want to master one skill rather than knowing everything but master none of those skills. If presenting is your weakness, practice presenting while ensure you know the material to the detail of it. You might be sloppy when presenting but when people asked questions and you provide wonderful answers then you are ok.

DAVID’s Answer

Updated Saint Petersburg, Florida
My first time I practiced at home so much that soon my wife new the presentation. The more you stand in front of a group at school and work you learn to relax and focus on the presentation. As a engineer you can hone your presenting skills by submitting and presenting a engineering technical paper on your special project at technical conferences in front of your peers...share your ideas. In order to win a project you are called as a company team to present in front of a city or county voting panel, this team effort will be practiced time and time again, this is how civil/environmental consultants win work. The more you speak the easier it becomes.

Davina’s Answer

Updated San Jose, California

I work in the software engineering field and you can have more or less exposure to presentations depending on the type of role you take. Initially, I started as a software engineer, working on developing products but then as my career progressed I migrated to roles that were more focused on presenting to customers and partners in Product Management. Presenting is a skill one can develop over time by presenting in front of small groups initially. Most companies will provide training to develop these skills, if that's a path you wish to follow. Being an introvert, doesn't prevent you from learning how to present.

Silpa’s Answer

Updated San Jose, California

Hello Britney,

There's a lot of misconception that Introverts means NOT presenting, NOT talking aloud etc. In fact, one of the difference between Introvert and Extrovert is the energy they use, introverts like to work by themselves, extroverts thrive off of the energy from others.

Introverts will make great engineers. Some of the world's best CEOs are introverts. (Think Bill Gates, Zuckerberg)

As far as your concern regarding giving presentations, it's all about practice practice practice. And try the following to get feedback about your presentation skills.

Silpa recommends the following next steps:

• Practice in front of the mirror
  • Record yourself giving the presentation
  • Present in front of your friends

Farzan’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas
I think every engineering major requires some presentations of ideas and design to a small, medium or large size audience. But you don’t need to be a natural born speaker. I for example was very shy when I started my engineering degree but over years one would practice so many times that by the I graduated I felt excited about an opportunity to present my work to a large group of people. You will be just fine.