What are some things to keep in mind during the interviewing process?

Is there any pointers for freshly graduated students to stand out during their interview? Is there a method to prepare for the interview questions and what kind of question will the interviewer ask? #teaching #professionals #education #interview

Misty’s Answer

This is a great question. There are a few things that I would say in my opinion that would help you during an interview .

1. make sure you know about the company you are applying for. This could come in handy as you may be applying for one job and yet your skill set allow you to be an asset in the company in another area. Due some research on this before the interview. This would also be beneficial if you were to be asked the age old question of "what makes you feel that you would be a good fit for our company". If you know the company, you will be able to give a more professional answer.
  2. Eye contact and a good handshake go a long way.
  3. Dress for the job you want when going into an interview.
  4. Make sure that at the end of the interview, you ask for feedback. Ask your interviewer if there is anything you could do in further interviews to bette r your chances, especially if you are going to have a second interview with another person.

Douglas’s Answer

Shay,

There is a lot of information out there that can help you with the questions companies ask. However, the questions will vary from company to company. There is no "hard-and-fast" rule on what will be asked.

Most interviewers will ask you to tell a little about yourself. Believe me, they do not want to know when you were born or grew up or who your friends are. They are not looking for personal information. They are looking to see if your education/work background fits in with what they are looking for (see the job description for that). They also want to know that you'll fit in with their company culture. A conservative bank would shy away from a liberal activist and such. So, before your interview, do your research to see if you do fit the company culture. You can find most of that information online at the company's website.

Don't assume you know what they are asking. If you are unsure what the question is looking for, ask. Most companies like people who ask questions(as long as you don't question everything).

Be relaxed and most importantly, be yourself. Remember,you're interviewing them at the same time. Instead of next steps, I am putting a few "do's and don't's" for you.I hope they help.

Douglas recommends the following next steps:

• Arrive early, but not earlier than 15 minutes.
  • Sit up straight and smile comfortably.
  • Have copies of your resume, just in case they ask.
  • Never chew gum in the interview. I've seen this and it is ugly and distracting.
  • If they ask if you have questions, have at least one. You want to look interested in them.

Alyssa’s Answer

There are several different interview styles and each one is a little different. As a hiring manager, I look for communication skills and preparation. Be sure you know a little about the position and the organization you are interviewing with. Look up hiring managers on LinkedIn if you can. Think about the skills you want to portray and examples that will show those skills. Most importantly, be yourself.