How important are extracurriculars to grad school?

In high school, extracurricular clubs and activities are a big part of college applications. When applying for grad school, is this the same way? Or do grad schools just look for consistently high grades?

#grades #extracurriculars #grad #graduate-school ##gradschool #graduateschool #undergraduate #student-clubs

2

Stacy’s Answer

Hi Mariam,

Graduate admission committees will likely focus on your academic record, personal statement, recommendation letters, test scores, and resume/CV. Don't hesitate to include a few key extracurriculars on your resume/C.V. Know what's even better? Being able to connect these activities to your proposed graduate studies! For example, I have a colleague who earned a doctorate in marine ecology. As an undergraduate, she volunteered most weekends at a city aquarium where she amassed a wealth of information. This multi-year volunteer commitment demonstrated a serious interest in marine ecology. It also helped inform her proposed doctoral research. I hope you find this information helpful.

Best,

Stacy

Stacy recommends the following next steps:

Identify your 3 key extracurricular activities.
Add an extracurricular section to your resume/C.V. and include the activities from Step 1.
Draw connections between your activities and interest in a particular graduate program.

0

Angelina’s Answer

It depends on what they are looking for. When I applied to graduate school there were prerequisites that I needed along with community service hours and a portion where they asked me to talk about extracurricular that I participated in. Therefore it was important to the program I was applying to. I would reach out to the admission office at the graduate schools you want to apply to and ask questions.

0