How do I know if a university is too academically challenging for me?

1

I'm a senior in high school and I'm trying to decide what college to attend. I would like to double major in psychology and a foreign language, as well as participate in activities like sailing, equestrian, and dancing. I'm worried it might be too much. How can I get a feel for a particular university's academics?
#college #college-major #college-selection #student-activities #college-advice #college-life

Hi Margaret! Doubling up your major is already pretty challenging because you have to focus on both areas. However, your extracurricular activities should not affect your academic studying too much. You could search up the college you are planning to attend and check out their SAT or ACT average score and GPA score. If those scores are high, then that school would definitely be competitive and academically challenging as well. The most important thing is to get into a college that is best for your majors. I think it also depends on what classes you take in college. Two of my older sisters got into two different ranking university, they both find the courses to be much more challenging than high school classes. Hope you can get into your dream school! Joy Joy Z.
Thanks for the advice!! Margaret C.
1

1

Collegeboard.org is a great resource for this! I poured through the pages of universities all over the U.S. when I was a senior in high school. Collegeboard was my go-to site! They put all of the information in one place and it is very easy to use. They even have various filters you can apply to see only colleges that have programs you are interested. To determine academic rigor, look at the admissions requirements, G.P.A. of past admitted applicants, SAT/ACT scores, class rank etc. This will give you an idea of what scores and grades you need to be accepted. However, don't be discouraged your application will be reviewed based on the full picture! College-board will help you get an idea of what is most important to the specific school you are applying to.

Rachel recommends the following next steps:

• Chat with your Guidance Counselor
  • Create a Collegeboard.org account
  • Start using CollegeBoard as a resource to look up schools.
Thanks for the advice! Margaret C.
1