Is it better to specialize your business degree or remain general?

7

I was wondering if people studying business are better of with specializing in their program(going into accounting or marketing) or if remaining general when it comes to job searches. Does one pay more?
#business #business-management #business-degree #marketing #business-administration #specializing #commerce

7

Audrey’s Answer

0

Hi Teleola,

I think it is better to get some type of speciality but I don't believe that you major in will lead to only one job. What I would do would be to narrow down to 2/3 job types your search - you are mentionning both finance & marketing for example. Then go on LinkedIn & look for people's profiles with post-university jobs in those fields - look for people with nothing more than 2 years of experience.

Finally take a look at what their degree was & what they did study, it will give you an idea.

I think it can be a good way for you to actually see what people study & where they end up.

Good luck in your search !

Audrey

Audrey recommends the following next steps:

• Go on LinkedIn, look for young experienced professionals in industries you like & see what they studied
0

Maxwell’s Answer

0
Hey Teleola,

As a recent graduate of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's [UIUC] business school with a major in Accountancy, I do believe that choosing a specialization is more advantageous in regards to obtaining a job than remaining general. In fact, I believe may alma mater asks you to specialize after your sophomore year.

The professions you listed: accounting, marketing, finance, etc. are all relatively competitive industries to break into. Selecting a specialized major would make your resume more enticing to firms within the industry of your major. Additionally, in my experience, the skills and knowledge you pick up in your specialized classes does translate to the professions of that specialized major.

In regards to pay of your listed professions, I would rank their starting salaries in the following order (1 = highest pay):
1) Finance
2) Accounting
3) Marketing
0

0
As a BS/BA-IT undergrad, I would recommend a focus area since it specifies your studies and adds a little kicker to boot. A straight up Business degree would delve a little further into the business realm. I am glad i went with a minor in IT since I am able to display my diversity in knowledge and be able to market myself to a wider audience. It shows I am not a one trick pony.
0

Yousuf’s Answer

0
Teleola!

Business is a very vast field. Strangely our education system only emphasizes its 3 branches; Marketing, HR or Finance. When I graduated in BBA (hons), with my major in marketing, wasn't even aware of the ample opportunities out there. The roles in business include areas such as operations, sales, consulting, project management, public relations, training & development, etc etc. Yes you can definitely find your passion amongst the 3 branches, however, it doesn't mean you 'll only be able to stick with that area of the field. I am a sales executive at an IT corporation, who has also previously in the development sector as a consultant and is also a part-time trainer. Furthermore, my knowledge in finance has helped me to invest intelligently. You might be an expert at 1 thing but as a business expert, it's more fruitful to by dynamic in today's world than to be specific. Companies want fewer people who can do multiple tasks. It's just more profitable for them to invest in a dynamic individual than someone who they have to think twice before promoting in a more dynamic role.
0

0

Hi Teleola,

Maxwell has given you some excellent advice and guidance. My only additional thought to consider is to gain a strong understanding of general business management. Strong business management knowledge will enhance the skills you have developed in a specific area of expertise and will not only make your work more interesting, but will also give you the potential for increasing positions of responsibility.

Best of luck.

0

Mili’s Answer

0

Hey Teleola,

The best thing you can do for your career is to find a niche, and stick to it. Specialize as much as you possible can. A general degree will make you a jack of all trades - master of none. Specialize in the one you find most interesting, and it'll pay what you're worth & what you think you're work is worth. I found that my business degree with a specialization in Information Systems was a great investment that later led to a computer science masters!

0

Gautam’s Answer

0
Specialization will lead you to be more sort after, further specialization that can be transfered from one industry to another will keep you in demand for a long time specifically when it gets lonely at the top. But if no transferable skills specialization can limit options. Specialization always pays more.
0