What are some key positions or skills that would look good on a resume for business development/marketing internships?

109

I was wondering if things like language certificates, volunteer positions at smaller companies/charity organizations would look good, or anything else, for positions in business development or marketing/PR.

Marketing would include brand consulting, communications/PR, consulting, etc.

#marketing #brandconsulting #branding #resume-writing #resumebuilding #public-relations #internships

109

Karin’s Answer

1

Hi! I absolutely recommend to students that any type of experience they can gain, whether it's through volunteer work or internships goes a long way on their resume. Employers want to see that you've spent some time in the field you have chosen to study. An example would be that you contact your local Habitat for Humanity (just an example) and ask them if they have any volunteer work you could do around marketing or business development. This could mean you make flyers for an event or help them publicize the work they are doing. Not only are you helping your community, but you are gaining experience within your field. I highly recommend these activities to help get your foot in the door, network and gain important experience. Best wishes!

Karin recommends the following next steps:

• Contact a local non-profit and ask if they have roles where you can build skills in your area of interest.
  • Use this experience to leverage your skills on your resume.
1

Chantel’s Answer

1

Although I am not in business development or marketing, any time I am interested in a particular position I research the jobs that I would like to obtain one day. From there I look at the minimum experience they are asking and what skills that are needed. So, start backward, with looking up the position and seeing what you skill you need to work on and which ones you can show case.

1

Matthew’s Answer

0

Hi, I third the advice given above. It's also good to note that you can hustle up and do multiple things at the same time. For instance whilst you are looking for unpaid internships, or non-profits to work with you should also definitely do *something* on your own.

Because while you can't always control what positions you get (or have access to) you can always be developing your skills and building a case study for a skill. I know many of my colleagues in creative services and marketing organizations prioritize someone who has actually made something, produced something, sold something. Doesnt matter what it was. Its great if you were passionate about it, but really its about where you were able to get something out-the-door and able to explain how you went about doing it.

0

Beth’s Answer

0

Hello,

All of the above suggestions are great. Gaining new skills and experiences related to the career field is always a great way to show your interest.

I also suggest thinking of a creative way to present your resume or application information. Perhaps you present a "business proposal" on hiring you as the intern or present a new marketing campaign that includes you as the new product or service. Using your tech skills to create a personal website promoting a new "product" is a great way to grab the attention of the audience.

Make sure to research the each company's culture before sending and always attach a simplified traditional version of your resume. While one person may enjoy your spirit, while another may be just interested in what you say you did before.

Good Luck!

0

0

Hi Tanya,

Karin has given you some great advice. In my experience having general business knowledge is always a great benefit to a marketing or PR professional. It puts you in a unique position to understand not only how your work contributes to the overall business. At the same time you will be able to see how your role could have increasing influence on the business as a whole. Your resume tells your story. You want it to reflect who you are and the path that your are taking towards your career. In my experience, the more interesting and appropriately diverse the better for those types of positions.

Kim recommends the following next steps:

• Follow Karin's suggested steps.
  • After your internship, think about other areas of business (related to marketing/PR) you would like to explore. And add to your resume. Pursue them.
  • Seek out professional organizations or associations to further connect with others in your potential field. This also looks good on a resume.
0