What is the equivalent to internships in the education field?

Asked Columbus, Ohio

Everyone talks about getting internships, but for someone who wants to become a teacher, what are good summer opportunities to improve a resume? #education #teaching #internships #summer-jobs

Erin’s Answer

Updated Hilliard, Ohio

Great question! I would recommend becoming a tutor during the summer, most students forget skills and information they learn over summer break. I would check with your current school to see if there are any opportunities to work with younger students throughout the school year. Also working with summer programs at the YMCA or other community centers can be beneficial.

Carol’s Answer

Updated Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm not an educator as such, but if you are looking for something that could help I'd suggest looking into camp counsellor or some other role at summer camps, daycare centre, summer programs, etc. Not sure where in the world you are, but most places have programs for children who are not in school over the summer months (or other breaks) that their parents can place them in. Any child facing role in one of those would likely help with experience in teaching, if only because you learn to deal with larger numbers of children. I'm sure most would welcome someone who has teacher as a career aspiration.

Carol recommends the following next steps:

• Find out about summer camps/out of school programs
  • Inquire what qualifications you need to volunteer/be employed with those programs.
  • Apply as a volunteer, coordinator, or counselor to the programs

Misty’s Answer

Updated Huntsville, Alabama

This is a great question and its great that you want to have some experience under your belt. Great job. I would say that you could check with your local Board of Education as a first step. Sometimes, if you are old enough and your state accepts the time put in, you can register to be a substitute teacher and the hours that you work would go toward your practicum hours for teaching. Also you could volunteer at other agencies as previous answers have stated.