Should I go into the business career or should I follow my dreams.

Asked Minneapolis, Minnesota

My parents always pressure me to aim high and get a good job that pays me well. My dreams are to become an idol, singer, dancer, actress, model (mainly more into the entertainment industry which is really hard to get into). My parents do not agree with my dreams and rather have to go into marketing/business or a career/industry that will "provide me with better financial". I only have one life and I don't want to make the wrong choice. Growing up I had always loved performing on stage and showing my talents. At the same time I want to open up a café or shop later down in my life too. What should I do?

#dreams #career #music #marketing #business #celebrity #modeling #goals #motivation

Scott’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas

Hi Christina,

You should do both, if you can. Really lucky people can do both at the same time. Less lucky, but still fortunate people can do one, then the other. If you are very talented, then go for the former, but having a "plan B," is always a great idea. DO NOT BURN BRIDGES, and leave your options open!

Scott recommends the following next steps:

• Find out how talented you are. Enter a contest.

Marianna’s Answer

Updated Bratislava, Slovakia

Dear Christina,

this is a standard critical decision for many people. It depends on all the options you have. I would suggest, do not do anything without proper preparation and a plan. On the other hand, do not push yourself into something, where you are totally unhappy.

if you have a job and making money, get yourself enough time to find right strategy plan for your own business. once you are confident you know how to follow the path of your dream job, go for it. Might be hard to go through first steps, however if you doing something with passion and what fulfills you, you will be truly happy at the end of the day.

Ann’s Answer

I was like you. I had a lot of passions growing up, but also had the pressure to get a degree in something that was practical. I think it's ok to want to follow your dreams and have education as a backup plan. Many actors and singers also have degrees. If you eventually want to start a business I recommend a degree in Business Administration. It will teach you all aspects of running a business. Plus, the entertainment industry is a business too. So, it will help you understand how to follow your dream and manage your money.

Judeanne’s Answer

Updated Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Christina,

Parents are naturally protective. We can't fault them for that. Though I do believe we all, particularly our younger selves, know what will make us happy.

I want to see you be happy and that will encompass many things, particularly in a career. You say you see your self as an "idol". Do you mean trying out for American Idol or is that the measure of success you see for yourself as an entertainer? If it will be your measurement for deciding your level of success as an entertainer, it could be quite the challenge.

Someone who achieves that level of success makes a lot of money, after a while, and seems to have a great life but, they employee and support possibly hundreds of people. Honestly ask your folks, your teachers, your relatives, even people in your neighborhood who own their own business, "What does it feel like to provide for/support the number of people that you take care of from working for a living?" Ask them how many family members or employees they have to support. Ask them to be honest with you. Do they stay up nights thinking about how they can do a better job of supporting people? What's the best part of them taking care of the people they employee? What isn't so much fun about it?

I know quite a few professional musicians. Most of them truly love their art and their profession. Many of them work for big-time entertainers and one is even married to someone who was once "very big time". Still they are happy people, raising families and working hard to support their loved ones.

Your "later in life" dream seems to be something interesting to think about in the short term. Every musician/singer/performer starts out playing live. It's not always easy to find someplace to play. If you wish to run a cafe, why wouldn't you have people performing there live while you're open? Bruce Springsteen used to play at a cafe not far from me and it isn't any bigger than someone's living room! You don't even need both hands and feet to count the number of tables they have inside. There's nothing that says you can't run a successful cafe and sing there too, and sing other places too. If you get your cafe running right and have someone who can manage things when you can't be there - like your parents ;) - why can't you go out and build a musical career of your own, knowing your business will be there to support you while you're out paying your dues as a performer? You'll have regular revenue coming in. You'll always have someplace where you can perform anytime you want. You'll have the flexibility to do multiple things. And, you just may be able to help others with the same dream along the way.

There are many, many ways to get where you want to go, and still keep your folks from worrying. Read all you can about the business side of the business. That's VERY IMPORTANT.

This is one of the best books on the subject: Donald Passman's All you need to know about the music business.

<iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=qf_sp_asin_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=ja105-20&marketplace=amazon&region=US&placement=1501104896&asins=1501104896&linkId=f632cd2795c75843dffd9264d62b1f5d&show_border=false&link_opens_in_new_window=false&price_color=333333&title_color=0066c0&bg_color=ffffff">

</iframe>

Good luck to you and feel free to ask all the questions you'd like. I'm happy to help you out.

Judeanne recommends the following next steps:

• Read Donald Passman's All You Need To Know About the Music Business
  • Talk to others about what it's like to support others, especially business people about supporting their employees.
  • Think more about your Cafe idea... it could be awesome too!