What career options do I have with a degree in liberal studies?

Updated Princeton, Massachusetts

The liberal arts major encompasses everything that I love (history, english, art, culture), but I have no idea what I can do with it. I want to make sure that my future is secure by choosing this major.

#college-advice #college-major #career-counseling #career-path #career-choice #indecisive #careers-for-people-with-liberal-arts-degrees #liberal-arts-major

Annabel’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

The best part about a liberal arts major is that you can use the broad skills and knowledge that you learned and apply it to various different career paths. I was an art history major because I was passionate about learning about how art depicts and influences different cultures throughout history and then I went to work in hospitality. By choosing a major, you do not have to define what your career path will be after University. Choose a major that interests you and will make you excited to come to class and then your career path will later fall into place after college. Employers are looking for a wide range of skill sets when looking for a good candidate so that is why it is great to be at a liberal arts school without pre-professional majors - you can invest your time in what interests you and this then opens up various different career paths.

Updated Nipomo, California

Hi Ariel,

Erin has given you some excellent advice and guidance already. One additional thought for your consideration is to better understand your natural strengths and then decide if you want to pursue emphasis in certain areas for a specific career path. My favorite strengths assessment is Gallup's StrengthsFinder. It will not only provide insight into your natural strengths, but also provide a report on potential career paths.

Overall, I agree with Erin that a Liberal Arts degree gives you a lot of options in career paths, which for some people makes it that much more interesting. It also shows a potential employer that you have diverse interests and have the potential to be adaptable to change.

Best of luck on your journey.

Kim recommends the following next steps:

• Research StrengthsFinder to determine your interest in taking the assessment.
  • Take the StrengthsFinder assessment and review the resulting report.
  • Utlize the report for future decisions regarding courses and/or career paths.