What is one invaluable lesson you learned at a job or internship?

11
11

Yvonne’s Answer

0

Hi Isabel,

Through my previous part-time jobs and internships, I learned that adaptability is a very important quality to have. With rapid changes in technology, it can be really beneficial if you are able to demonstrate adaptability and be willing to take on tasks/projects that are new and challenging. Even if you might not know how to do certain task/project, your initial reaction to a challenge provides an immediate perception of your adaptability. Change is a common source of stress for a lot of people. If you are willing to spend more time figuring out how to do the new task/project assigned to you and leveraging your professional connections to help, you are setting yourself apart. In addition, always have the right attitude and have confidence in yourself!

Don't allow yourself to become complacent. Always be learning and moving towards that next goal. Lauren Green Translate
0

Kyle’s Answer

0
I've had the opportunity to have multiple internships through my college education. On the job experience while still in school is invaluable to your education. Summer internships between semesters allow you to take the information you learned and apply it to the real world.
0

Amanda’s Answer

0
Don't ever settle or get too comfortable.

I'll never forget a quote that a friend of mine made when working at a company years ago. "When you are the only one answering the questions in the room, it's time to find a new room." This company I worked at years ago didn't treat their employees well. I produced wonderful results for them, but the management was horrible. I worked hard to be promoted and was eventually promoted after fighting tooth and nail for every step I got... after 7 years and a couple bad bosses later, I started to wonder why I was there. I was answering most of the questions in the room and realized that I needed to find a new room, and a purpose. I allowed myself to be too comfortable with my job. I wasn't learning anything new and I wasn't growing. It was past time to find a new job.

So don't settle. It's nice to feel like you have job security, but no job is secure. Find opportunities that will help you grow and don't ever settle.
0

Katy’s Answer

0

Always stay curious and have an 'always learning' mentality. Ask for help, ask to assist with things that may not necessarily pertain to your job at hand - it can always help you in the future. Also, some people get comfortable in their job and get bored - this is a way to show your superiors you always are looking for more and want to excel.

0

Amanda’s Answer

0
Hi Isabel,

Great question!

The most important thing I have learned throughout my career is that your career path is up to you. For the most part people are willing to help you advance and teach you, but the initiative has to come from you.

You are in charge of your own career and progression!

Hope this helps. Goodluck on your journey!
0

Josh’s Answer

0

I'm going back quite a few years here to my own experiences but here are a few valuable things I learned...

1) I learned that I didn't enjoy the manufacturing engineering career - and was able to eliminate that from future choices. This is my own personal preference, others may love it, but it helped me decide one thing I didn't want to do.

2) Technical skill - It was a real Eureka moment when I took a bunch of classroom mathematical modeling of how something worked (a transistor in the linear range) and then applied it into a functional circuit. Wow that gave me such an advantage when I got back to school.

3) Real world implications of what career I was pursuing - What will it be like? What kind of people will I work with? Will I enjoy it?

0

Ray’s Answer

0
in many ways, an internship allows you to "test drive" a career path, so pay attention to the good, the bad and the rewarding.
0

Alison’s Answer

0

The best advice is to always to be honest and true to yourself. Find something that is interesting and make sure you learn something everyday. Communicate your ambition to those in your reporting line.

0

Jon( Ponytail)’s Answer

0
Safety is up to YOU
0

Don’s Answer

0

Your accountable for your actions and no one else is while on the job.

Don recommends the following next steps:

• Get constructive feedback from your boss or co-workers on the work you do so you can become a better employee.
  • Have open communications with your boss and team members so you
  • Attend conferences or webinars etc on your specific subject in your field so you can obtain professional development and learn and be the best at what you do on the job.
0