If I have a BS in Psychology, will I be accepted for a Master's in Ecology ?

0

I am a US citizen living in Australia, I have been out of school for 2 1/2 years, and I would like to go back to school to earn a masters in Ecology or a related field. I would like to know if this is possible in the USA, but I want to go to school in Central Europe. Would a foreign school in Austria or Germany accept me for an ecology program if my Bachelor's is in a different scientific field. #science #graduate-school #ecology #study-abroad #austria #germany #environmental-science #masters #europe

0

Lara’s Answer

1

Hi Sam, I think it's great that you are interested in studying ecology in central Europe! I'm from Germany, studied a BA there in Tourism Management and then did a MSC program in Ecological Economics is Scotland right afterwards. I had no trouble getting into the program even though my academic background did not match at all, and I believe many universities are not just looking into your previous degree, but also your interests and your professional experience beforehand. I'd recommend to look up master programs in Germany and Austria and on their websites they will list their requirements. Many programs will require you to write a letter of motivation. In that letter you can make up for your lack of academic scientific training by showcasing your passion for ecology and what you intend to do with the degree. You can also point out all your transferable skills (I believe psychology also teaches research methodologies/statistics etc, that you can use for ecology as well). Another thing to consider are your language skills: many German/Austrian universities offer international degrees in English, but might ask for some basic German skills. It's best to check ahead of time and potentially enroll in a German class as soon as possible, if you don't have prior knowledge. Best of luck! I believe you will succeed if you try!

1