How do you find opportunities that are unique to yourself?

I am in 10th grade and am talented at programming and well read in economics and aquaponics. I want to know if there is anything that I would benefit from doing? #engineering #career #college #any #economics #programming #infosec #aquaponics #engineer #trading #commodities #regulation

G. Mark’s Answer

First, you should evaluate your personality to see what sorts of things you would be best suited for. I think the best way to do that is to take a personality assessment questionnaire. The one I usually refer to is the RIASEC, but you can visit a school counselor to get other recommendations. What these sorts of questionnaires do is use a statistical profile to see how well your answers match with folks who are successful in many different occupations. People who are successful at something are usually happy with it. You may get some surprising answers that will open you up to many different opportunities to explore. I personally was matched well with science and engineering as well as entertainment and being a forest ranger. This may seem a bit farfetched, but there were personality overlaps between these that opened my eyes to new possibilities.

After you've gotten a good idea of what your personality matches, you'll want to evaluate those occupations for other considerations, like employment opportunity, economic returns, effort investment and stability and see how they stack up. Then you'll want to see how accessible training in those areas is to you. This may lead you also to choose different schools or areas of the country or world.

This will be an exciting and fun activity, not to mention extremely valuable and efficient. Then discuss your findings with people you trust including those same counselors and get more advice. The end result should maximize your success and confidence that you're choosing a good course for your life.

Linda’s Answer

Hi Jack.

You have a diverse set of interests. You can take each one and do a fishbone diagram. There may be similarities and new discoveries which will help you determine your strongest interests and where your passion lays. From there, join and engage with other groups communities and begin networking, gain insight and learn from their experiences while creating your own.

Linda recommends the following next steps:

• Draw a fishbone diagram. One for each interest: programming, economics, aquaponics.
  • Hone in on your passion and priorities
  • Engage by networking and doing!