What companies and organizations have the best track record for promoting women in engineering?

I’m a senior student at Brennan HS. I’m looking into engineering careers because I excel at math and science but have a creative streak that needs an outlet. #engineering #engineer #science #math #women #womenengineers #womanengineer

Ananya’s Answer

Hi Jordan, great to see your enthusiasm towards engineering. Knowing which field you want to join at such an young age is absolutely amazing!

Now coming to your question, nowadays , every company is working towards improving the diversity aka total number of women in the company. Most of the global companies , for eg Cisco, where I have been working for the past 2 years have many programs to help women feel included at workplace. This includes and is not limited to maternity leave, medical care during the pregnancy period, work from home option for a good personal and professional life balance. We also have a program called #womenforimpact , wherein you get to meet amazing women and learn a lot from their experience.

For your creative streak, I suggest you join the Cultural / CSR teams which are again present in almost all the major companies. Or else you can start a new club wherever you join.

For your reference, I found this article by Forbes which may prove helpful : #8cf1ebb7de9c" target="_blank">https://www.forbes.com/best-employers-women/#8cf1ebb7de9c

Douglas’s Answer

Hi,

I can not speak to specific companies by name, but my experience over the years leads me to believe that larger, as opposed to smaller, companies do better paying and promoting women. In my many years at GE, there was always an emphasis on finding and promoting women engineers. The US Government and US Military also seem to be pro active in promoting women.

Hope this helps,

Adelle’s Answer

Hi Jordon! I love seeing more ladies wanting to get into the technical field! As Ananya, I also work for Cisco, and I cannot say enough great things about this company and what they do for women. There are endless technical possibilities, and the diversity and culture here are exceptional. There are so many engineering positions but also different initiatives so that you can show your creativity and express yourself.

This article might give you more ideas of different engineering positions and places to work: https://www.theguardian.com/top-50-women-in-engineering/2019/jun/24/meet-our-top-50-women-in-engineering-for-2019

Best of luck in your future endeavors!