About how long did it take to get to where you are now in your field?

0

I'm a high school student interested in being an obstetrician! I love being able to make people's lives brighten and to me that brightness for any expecting mother is being able to have their baby and hold him/her for the first time. I have a few distant family members in the field and hearing about what they do interested me! #obstetrician #doctor #obgyn #midwiving #midwive #nurse #nursing #medicine #healthcare

0

Sana’s Answer

0
Hi there! I think that is so great you want to be an OBGYN! I am a newly graduated RN (registered nurse) and I am working on my BSN (Bachelor's of Science in Nursing).

As far as a timeline goes, the process to becoming a registered nurse took me a total of 4.5 years.

I went to a community college for 3 semesters (1.5 years) to complete my nursing pre-requisites. These classes are the ones you need to take BEFORE you apply and enter nursing school - like a pre-med program. They usually include Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2, Chemistry, Algebra, English Composition, Developmental Life Span, etc.

In my last semester of community college, I began applying to nursing schools. I was accepted in two, and I made my choice.

I started nursing school right after finishing up my last pre-requisite class. The nursing school program I was enlisted in takes 2 years. Unfortunately, I failed my second to last semester before graduation. Nursing school is very hard and competitive, and failing that semester meant I had to wait a full year to retake that class and continue with my nursing education.

Once I retook my class a year later, I finished up and graduated a semester later.

I had every intention of finishing school is 3.5 years, but instead, it took me 4.5 years. I tell you this because sometimes we go into college with a plan, and sometimes we hit a bump in the road. The important thing is that we learn from our mistakes, and pick ourselves back up. My particular issue is that I was a straight A honors student in both high school and community college. I thought I was ready for nursing school, but it was much more intense than I expected. I had to learn to ask for help and get tutoring when I needed it. I also had 2 unexpected deaths in the family during that semester, which made it very hard to concentrate on school.

Never give up on your dreams - if you really want this, you'll get there!
0