How beneficial would a minor in Mathematics be as a Mechanical Engineering major?

4

I'm a junior currently attending Astate CQ and I wanted to get some advice about minoring in math or maybe even in business. I would like to know in what direction would I be heading towards having these types of minors. Also, how should I chose between those minors or should I also open up to the idea of other minors?
Any advice is appreciated​, thank you.

#engineering #math #mathematics #mechanical-engineer #major #college-major #minor

4

G. Mark’s Answer

1

Mathematics is what describes and controls the world, so it's no real stretch that it would be the seat of engineering in general, including mechanical engineering. So you might be suspecting that my answer would be, "very".

Thank you, professor G.Mark Stewart. I'll take the math minor into serious consideration. Armando O.
1

Parinaz’s Answer

0
You will have more flexibility it terms of finding a job, since you will be able to get an analyst job outside engineering field. Also, it will help you strengthen your problem solving skills, which in the long term would help you a lot.
0

Glenn’s Answer

0

I agree that a minor in mathematics may be useful with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. You should be most of the way there with the math requirements within the degree. There are areas that will directly benefit from the deeper understanding in math. Understanding the analysis tools or help designing them can take advantage of the combined knowledge. Also in applying statistics to yield rates, process controls, etc.

Glenn recommends the following next steps:

• Review engineering tools, FEA, CFD, Moldflow Analysis.
  • Review typical production tools SPC, Cp, CpK
0

Dana’s Answer

0

A minor in mathematics or statistics will be very helpful for an ME major; as it will ensure you have the foundational support on the calculations needed to be a mechanical engineer. If you can, also take a few business or economics courses to broaden your awareness of the world in which your major applies.

Dana recommends the following next steps:

• Ask to speak with a college professor in mathematics to learn which courses will be most applicable to your ME major; Differential Equations, for example.
0