I want to go to college to become a pediatrician, what college courses should I take?

I've always wanted to become a pediatrician, and I'm close to graduating and I'm not sure what classes I should take. Any suggestions? #medicine #health #pediatrics #pediatrician #pediatric-nursing

8

In the US, to apply to medical school, you need a bachelor's degree. Any 4-year university should suffice.

Pick a college that suits your personality and a major that interests you. You will need to get good grades in college in order to apply for medical school. At the medical school I attended, the average GPA is reported to be 3.85, so even one or two B's can hurt your chances of acceptance.

Aside from this, any major is acceptable as long as you complete the prerequisite courses.

Typical medical school prerequisites include:
Biology: Lecture – 4 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
General Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Organic Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Biochemistry: Lecture – 1 semester
General Physics: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Math: Statistics – 1 semester
English: Rhetoric (Composition) and Literature – 2 semesters

1

Wael’s Answer

The link below has the complete process.

http://www.learnhowtobecome.org/doctor/

Thank you, Wael Al-Rihawi That was EXTREMELY Helpful!! Sammy G.

0

Blake R.’s Answer

Mainly focus in pediatrics.

0

Pediatrics is a great field requiring a medical doctorate. This means that you will have to complete college with a bachelor’s degree as well as all of the Pre-med requirements (1 year biology, 1 year inorganic chemistry, 1 year organic chemistry + labs, physics, calculus, and biochemistry). GPA should probably be 3.5 or better (preferably >3.8). You will also have to score well on the MCAT. Once accepted to medical school, as long as you pass your classes and perform reasonably well during your four years of medical training, you can apply for a pediatrics 3 year residency. Following that, you will likely apply for a 1-3 year fellowship.

0

Ruth’s Answer

You will need some basic bio/chem and physics classes. But each medical school has it's own requirements- look up the reqs for where you think you want to go. When I was applying ( in the dark ages:) The one that would have stalled me if I had decided to go there was U Minnesota had a requirement for 3 college lit classes.- I love to read, but as a double science major, had not done even one (I took one my senior year as I was applying- and would have used summer school to do the other two.)

Both when I was at school, and a lot of the students I work with now are not science majors. Once you have your basic classes- think about the major that fits you.-

- a child psych / dev class would also be useful.

0

Estelle’s Answer

All great answers! Just feel comfortable with the knowledge that medical school requirements will prepare you for medical school. Use your electives to explore areas you might never look into otherwise. My college degree was in biochemistry, but one of my very favorite electives was a Civil War History class. I had no idea how interesting it would be.

0