Suggestions for good online business/STEM internships/programs for 15 year old high school students?

11
11

Yasmeen’s Answer

1
Hi Aleena, You can try reaching out to: https://inroads.org/regional-offices/great-lakes-regional-office/

I am INROADS alumni of INROADS Newark and it helped me so much.
1

Justina’s Answer

1
I would say start with any company’s website that you’re interested. Check the career section and if the company does have any internship/volunteer they will have the opportunities listed. I also recommend asking teachers/professor they too tend to have great resources related to career opportunities. Schools also do have career department to help students navigate different opportunities that are available in the community /companies within. Also reaching out to family and friends to share any resources.
1

Biju’s Answer

0
Amazon provides STEM internship throughout the year and majority of their technical internships take place in the summer and last between 12 to 16 weeks. They do provide trainings and guidance which will help to enhance your knowledge and accelerate your career. Most of the tech companies provide such opportunities for students during summer. Please do Google or check out the links below. Good luck 👍

Biju recommends the following next steps:

• https://www.amazon.jobs/en/teams/internships-for-students
  • https://www.facebook.com/careers/jobs/2350871135127906/
0

Angel’s Answer

0
Hi Aleena. I agree with Justina in that you have some great resources to tap into that might know someone, or even BE the one, who gives you an opportunity to intern with them. But, if age is a factor (many places will only consider 16 or older), then maybe your approach can be from the mentoring angle (I don't think there's an age limit for being mentored!) If you do your research and find some companies (big or small) that sound interesting to you, then dig a little deeper and find out more about certain individuals that work there and that you would like to be "MENTORED" by. Then write to them and introduce yourself--maybe you could even include a video introduction to make your request more relatable (and memorable). I imagine most would probably be flattered and might even take you up on the opportunity to make a difference in your life!
Best wishes to you in your search and in your career choice!
0

Nicole’s Answer

0
Hi Aleena M. Firstly, good for you for seeking advice like this at such a pivotal age!

Sort of along the lines of Jim's answer, consider connecting with a local college or university. It may be worth doing a little research to determine if that local college or university has a computer science program. If they do have these types of programs, there will likely be some details about what the programs are, maybe descriptions on the types of programming languages that are taught and maybe a school department name or an individual name of a person that is leading a summer effort or an internship program.

Oftentimes, local facilities seek interns and/or assistants to support summer programs. They sometimes are members of wider networks as well, that share information about where help is needed for summer programs, including details on requirements to participate.

Best of luck to you on your search!
0

Jim’s Answer

0
Hi, Aleena. At age 15, I believe internships may be a challenge to find. When my son was about your age he wanted to major in Computer Science so he enrolled in summer computer classes (“camps”) at the University of California campus in our city. The following summer he was hired for a paying job to assist in teaching those same classes. I believe that experience helped him in many ways—the process of applying for and interviewing for a job, exposure to several different platforms, teaching and leadership (which seems to be a current focus in college and job applications). Good luck.
0

Marc’s Answer

0
Some great suggestions provided.

Have you checked for recommendations from your school? Or searched online for local STEM programs? Perhaps reach out to this group...https://www.mistempartnership.com/

It's great that you are checking into this at only 15. But as others said, don't worry if you can't find an actual internship program, you have plenty of time. All opportunities to build your skills and explore the field are worth it. Depending on your area of interest there are lots of online STEM curriculum, including programming.
0

Ryan’s Answer

0
For someone who is only 15 years old, my biggest suggestion would be to do something you enjoy, no matter what it is. I didn't have my first job until the summer after my senior year of high school and didn't have a business related job until the summer after my sophomore year of college. The key is building a skillset that you can carry over once you graduate college and are looking for a full time job, but you still have plenty of time for that and you'd be surprised the skills you can learn from the activities you love. For myself, I was always into sports and the skills I obtained from playing sports such as thinking quickly, working well with a team, communicating effectively, being a leader, and learning how to handle pressure are all things that help me with my job everyday. At this point I would say focus on building versatile skills that can be used in any industry and continuing to try different things to determine what you are most passionate about.
0