25
Updated 1069 views

Should I work/intern during the school year in college or wait until summer?

#college #internship #work

25

1

Karla’s Answer

I highly suggest you intern (paid or unpaid, depending on your financial needs) during the school year. Assuming your schedule permits, and you are able to balance your school and work responsibilities, I think the balancing work and school life will give you a skill-set (juggling life), that you can only get through hands-on experience (and not something that is learned in text books). And of course, you will benefit in other areas from completing an internship, like exposure to work life, developing professional connections, learning from professional in the field you are interested in, etc. Either way, there are a lot of benefits in doing an internship, so whether you intern during the school year or during the summer, I say just go for it!

Your college years and entering the work force is a very exciting time. I wish you all the best- good luck!
Thank you comment icon I like your answer. Gaining experience is invaluable. Vicki Lyons
1
1

Syed’s Answer

Hi Olivia,

If you can manage an internship and/or job without your grades slipping, this can be a real boost to your college experience. You can build your resume, befriend your coworkers and have great interview stories to tell. Just make sure you get clear expectations from your supervisor regarding availability. Your grades always come first.
1
1

Keith’s Answer

My advice would be to seek employment with a company that you might like to work for after you finish school. If an internship is offered, that would be a preferred route as the internships also tend to have an associated guide or mentor that will help you. If no internships are offered, while you are interviewing be sure to ask about details on how one could become a full-time employee after finishing school.

Keith recommends the following next steps:

Seek advice from in-school career counselor / look for resources that companies have left at schools to draw applicants
1
1

Tammy’s Answer

I recommend you try to find a paid internship, they are out there. If you are not able to find a paid internship and depending on your financial situation, I recommend interning in fields you are interested in during the summer even if only for a limited time so you can also take a paid job. Interning is really the best way to see what is involved in the day-to-day in any career path, you may find that you love it or hate it. I know many people who thought they wanted to do one thing, but after doing an internship realized the daily routine did not interest them.

In addition, many internships offer positions to the most qualified and motivated interns after college. It is also a great way to network within an industry and build your resume.

Good Luck.
1
0

Anoosheh (Anna)’s Answer

It depends on your school load but the more internship you can do, the better for your resume.
0
0

Eric’s Answer

I worked part time all through college and found it helpful to have the real world working experience when applying for jobs once I had my degree.
0
0

Jenna’s Answer

You should apply early and often. Different internships open and close at different times. Apply for as many as you can since there are more applicants than there are internship positions.
0
0

Cristina’s Answer

Hi Olivia!

This is an excellent question. Experience is a great thing to have! You having this question makes me think that you would be interested in an internship or work if the right opportunity came along. I suggest that as you transition into college, you concentrate on just your classes, and being involved on campus. The transition into college can be challenging, but once you have adjusted to your new college schedule, you could start looking for internships and or jobs you are interested in. Good luck!

Cristina recommends the following next steps:

Creating a LinkedIn account to follow accounts you are interested in, network, and explore jobs/internships.
0
0

Stacy’s Answer

Great Question and Something to Consider! I think it depends on a lot of factors and each person is different. If you have the opportunity to participate in an internship, paid or not, it is always a great opportunity to give you exposure to that line of business and the day to day activities as well as great experience to add to your resume and helpful in interviews. However, It can be tough to juggle work and school but depending on the circumstances for each person!

I had a part time job during high school and college which gave me great experience but never had an internship! I would have enjoyed one though!
0
0

Justin’s Answer

Hi Olivia,

I would recommend trying to do an internship during the school year. My undergraduate college had a co-op program where I went to school for six months and then worked full time at an internship for another six months. With this, I had a full year and a half of experience of full time work before I graduated. It was an extremely beneficial experience that helped me greatly as I came out of college.

Justin
0
0

Cory’s Answer

You should always be open to the right opportunity. It's easy to make a plan, but life will always throw curveballs. In the case of an internship, even if it comes along at the wrong time according to your plan, it could end up being a tremendous opportunity to gain knowledge and build your resume'. Be open to at least considering any opportunity that comes your way. There is no harm in doing your due diligence. You can always decline if the time or opportunity is not right for you.
0
0

Jacob’s Answer

Hi - if you are given the opportunity to intern in the field you want to study, you should jump in it. This is the opportunity to really understand what is done in that field/job. I worked all through high school and college and it was tough. Some employers see that as being motivated and having drive.
0
0

Vicki’s Answer

I would advise you to get work experience during the school year if possible particularly if it is related to your career goals. When I interview people coming from college campuses, I ask a set of questions regarding your experience. It is best if you have some work experience in order to answer those questions most effectively. How are your grades? If they are good and you can maintain them, then take on some internship/work. If they are not so good, then an internship/work experience may provide you a way to find a job, and help you find enthusiasm to do better in your course work. Good luck.
0
0

Bill’s Answer

Olivia,

Although internships are extremely important, I believe you should focus on school while in session, taking advantage of the entire college experience and plan to intern during the summer recess or holiday breaks.

Best of luck in your future pursuits.

Bill

0
0

Yasmeen’s Answer

At a minimum, go for a summer internship. If there are internship opportunities local to your school and you think you can keep up your GPA then a school year internship could work. Alternatively, if there are no local internships, consider getting involved in campus activities that would allow you to develop the professional skills you're interested in. For undergraduate, I only interned in the summer. For graduate school, I interned in both the summer and during the school year of my last year. My GPA did suffer, but I got a job offer in the end, so it worked out.
0
0

Shuantaia’s Answer

I’d recommend you reach out to you advisor at school and ask he or she when you should apply for a internship? I’ve seen many corporations offer paid summer internships that have lead to permanent roles. No matter what you decide be sure that you have a internship. That is one of my biggest regrets not having a internship. It has been extremely hard for me to find a job in my field because of that.
0
0