What careers can you get from a statistics major with a psychology minor?

6
6

Rebecca’s Answer

1
My comment became too long so I’m just adding another answer here. 😊

Oh! Gotcha! There are also many online learning options that might give you a free trial or be relatively low cost (in other words, little financial investment prior to college) so you can play around with different subjects in order to see which interest you.
Also, while school is important, your major won’t dictate what you get to do. Many people are doing very different things from what they majored in. Study things that interest you! If they end up being what you want to do, awesome! If not, you spent 4 years learning things you like. Also, I did not realize this until much later, but make connections in college, not just friendships, but network. Some of my college classmates are running companies, teams, departments. Knowing people can make ALL the difference once you’re in the job world.
I'll try that, thanks for the advice :)) Jane S. Translate
1

Dexter’s Answer

0
Hi Jane,

Perhaps you can roll your interest in statistics into a machine learning career, and if so, you’d be in high demand, as learning human behaviors is a huge industry and will continue to be for years to come. Given that you’d have expertise in machine learning and psychology, you’d be perfect for a role like this. The question is though, would you be okay with the ethics of working on something that bad faith governments may use to predict and control their population?

Dexter
Thank you! I've been considering a career in AI but I haven't had much experience with programming/tech outside of a couple of high school courses. Jane S. Translate
Hey Jane, Well if you like statistics, I think you’ll like programming. It’s exact in nature, much like statistics. If you go 10-15 years into the future, I’m not sure how many statistics careers there would be without some programming knowledge required. I would love a statistics major to comment on this thread to agree or disagree with my guess. — Dexter Dexter Arver Translate
0

Allison’s Answer

0
Healthcare consulting or health outcomes research could be a great fit for your background. Are you interested in large, complex problems in the healthcare field? Do you like thinking about patient outcomes and working with large datasets?

With this role, you could put your statistics skills to work by answering research questions about disease patterns, patient outcomes, mental health behaviors, etc. through big data analytics. There is a significant need for statistics/programming skills in the healthcare industry across a range of sectors (non-profit, private, government). May be a good fit for your interests!
0

Rebecca’s Answer

0
I’m making an assumption that those areas of focus are yours? If so, why did you decide on those? What about those subjects do you enjoy? It could also be an interesting and maybe fun exercise to better understand what you like about these areas of focus and then look around for careers or career paths that will allow you to do those things. The great thing these days is that new jobs are being created all of the time. Who knows? Maybe your job has yet to be created? Or maybe it’s already out there!
Thank you :) That's true! I'm currently a high school student trying to figure out what majors to apply for, so I was just wondering if a stats/psych combination would give options. Jane S. Translate
0

Melanie’s Answer

0
HI!
A statistics major can get you many places. One major spot is data analysis, This involves you collecting, analyzing, and reporting on data. Another path you could take is to involve it with your psychology minor and do research. Statistical analysis often uses R programming language which s prominent in programming in psychology. If you are interested in understand the human interaction and behavior, this could be a good path for you. Working in banks or financial boards could also be a path for you as statistical analysis for company success is important.
0

Rita’s Answer

0
There is a few fields you could look into that pair these two subjects below:

Rita recommends the following next steps:

• Quantitative Psychology
  • Psychological Statistics
0