What is the benefits of being an Mechanical Engineer?

I'm still in high school. I'm going to the 11th grade but I want to be a mechanical engineer. So I just want to know some things about being an engineer. #engineer #engineering #mechanical-engineering #aerospace-engineering #mechanical-engineer

6

Victwhon engineering is a broad work category that refers to jobs that use science and mathematics to solve a variety of problems. Engineers work in disciplines that include mechanical, electrical, chemical, civil, and environmental engineering, among others.

MECHANICAL ENGINEERING ESSENTIAL INFORMATION

Utilize scientific and mathematic principles to devise technical solutions for problems in construction, engine design, and manufacturing. Aspiring mechanical engineers must earn a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering at a minimum, and may pursue graduate degrees in the field. Every state requires that mechanical engineers earn licensure, which calls for education, supervised work experience, and several examinations. Earning a degree in mechanical engineering opens a variety of career opportunities with automobile manufacturers, utility companies, and government agencies.

MECHANICAL ENGINEERING EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
A career in mechanical engineering requires at least a bachelor's degree. These programs include instruction in various system components, from computer programming to power systems, and cover technical subjects such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and hydraulics. Students are also expected to gain a basic understanding of civil engineering, electrical engineering, and chemical engineering. Many programs include coursework in fields where mechanical engineering is often applied, such as business or environmental science. Students interested in research and development positions in academia or private industry might go on to earn a master's or doctoral degree in mechanical engineering. Graduate programs in mechanical engineering typically involve research projects in a specific area, culminating in a thesis or dissertation. Engineering schools generally hold an accreditation from the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).

MECHANICAL ENGINEERING SALARY AND JOB OUTLOOK
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the mean annual salary for mechanical engineers is $84,999 as of June 28, 2020, but the range typically falls between $78,208 and $93,752. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession. The BLS projects a four percent increase in jobs for mechanical engineers between 2018 and 2028, which is about average in comparison to other occupations. Growth in fields like oil and gas extraction and nanotechnology will provide additional career opportunities.

ADDITIONAL ENGINEERING CAREERS TO CONSIDER

• AEROSPACE ENGINEERS – Aerospace engineers design aircraft, spacecraft, satellites, and missile systems. They also analyze, design, and test prototypes to make sure that they function according to design. The 2019 median pay for aerospace engineers was $114,000 per year.

• SOFTWARE/HARDWARE ENGINEERS – Software engineers design and create software and hardware systems for computers. They utilize math, science, engineering, and design techniques, and frequently have to test and evaluate their own systems as well as software built by other people. The 2019 median pay for software developers was $105,000 per year; for computer hardware engineers, $111,000 per year.

• ROBOTIC ENGINEERS – An engineering discipline that is on the rise, robotics engineering is a breeding ground for creativity and innovation from people with a background in mechanical, electrical, or software engineering. They may work in the agricultural, military, medical, and manufacturing industries, among others, conceiving of new uses for robots, designing improved robots for existing systems. The 2019 median pay for robotics engineers was $98,000 per year.

Hope this was Helpful Victwhon

John recommends the following next steps:

Find an Internship – Victwhon you can gain hands-on experience by participating in internships through your school's MET program. This is an opportunity for technicians to begin applying what was learned in the classroom environment to real-world experience. Interns may shadow an experienced mechanical technician who can help a promising technician gain the skills necessary to obtain professional employment.

2

Trey’s Answer

Victwhon - any engineering degree will require a detailed series of high-level math courses as well as science course, related to the engineering fied of discipline that you are planning to pursue. In my opinion, the best part about pursuing an engineering degree at a 4-year university is that the first two years of engineering study are going to be almost identical classes to those of year one and two engineering students. You really don't start taking the engineering field of major specific courses until years three and four of college.

As an example, when I entered college, I was a declared Aerospace Engineering major - however, after about my first year of general engineering courses (including the required math and science courses required for all engineering majors), I decided to change engineering majors and changed to agricultural engineering (now known as Biological Systems Engineering). I changed engineering majors because I saw more opportunity for direct human interaction for helping others directly in my engineering career with that major. That is what I wanted to have in my future career - the ability to help understand and solve other humans' problems through engineering.

One of the best parts about any engineering degree is that it will give you great problem-solving abilities for anything your pursue later in life. As an example, though I have two engineering degrees, I have not been in an engineering role in over 20 years. However, I use a lot of my engineering problem-solving skills in the work that I do for my employer. Many college graduates end up employed in work that is not closely tied to their college degree/field of study. Best wishes to you in your future!

0

Carolyn’s Answer

Oophs Cart before the Horse!

What stregnths, passions and experiences do you have that are valuable for Mechanical Engineers to have?

Doesn;t matter - if you Hate or Cannot Succeed as a Merchanical Engineer - what the benefits might be.

ALso ask yourself "Would you hire a person who asked what your organization can do for him - even before you have made a job offer?
People get paid to being their hands, and minds, and communication skills to the job to Make Money for their Employer. WHAT CAN YOU CONTRIBUTE TO THAT? and do you care to do that for the next 40 years?

My oh my, what kind of life have you lead that focused your thinking on "Whats In It for me?"
Rather than "Whis is What I Can adn Want to do Well... what profession uses these traits the majority of the time?"
You'll be spending more time at work, than with your family, or sleeping. GET YOUR PRIORITIES RIGHT, or you may be unemployable.

20% unemployment right now - Employers will only hire the Best and Most Devoted people.

Most sincerely,

Carolyn W

PS Victwhon, I beleive in you, and see you in my mind's eye doing great things with your life for yourself, your family, and your community. You are thinking ahead, strategically. That is a high value attribute professionally as well as personally. POY (Proud of You). I went to grade school near you, in Poland, OH. The tearchers said I would not graduate high school. I struggled with mild learning differences and have a great imagaination = This girl did not sit still much. They didn't like how my true self made their jobs harder. (That's why they call it a JOB!) Thank God my parents didn't tell me what was about me at age 9. I graduated HS with honors and earned a partial scholarship to a 4 year college. Yeah for being YOU! Don't ever stop! Carolyn Warden, PMP

Hi Carolyn, this answer doesn't mention any specifics about being a "Mechanical Engineer". Appreciate the response but this student and many others reading this question would love to know the Pros of going into Mechanical Engineering. Anyway you can address that? Jordan Rivera COACH

0

Miguel’s Answer

Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest fields in engineering. It is applicable in many industries such as automotive, medical, and infrastructure. Mechanical engineering provides a great starting point to learn fundamental concepts that can help you propel into any specialized field in engineering. The field of mechanical engineering allows you to gain experiences into fields like design, thermal fluids, and controls systems.

0

Mechanical engineering is used by everyone one because most things are mechanical. You learn the most skills you need for everyday activities with Mechanical engineering. Take a few classes in the electrical/computer area to add to it and you become even more valuable to an organization. Most aerospace engineers actually have a mechanical engineering degree. This degree allows you to go into many positions as you gain experience such as designer, project and program management, test engineer, quality engineer, supplier quality, management, aftermarket and repair, and many others.

Research job openings for mechanical engineers and review the job descriptions for what skills are needed. Compare to other engineering types.
Talk to other engineers via linked -in as to what they do.

0

Prashanth’s Answer

Hi Victwhon,

I hope you’re doing well & wish that you have a great week ahead.

Given below are some benefits and information pertaining to Mechanical Engineering

Creativity : Engineering is a field of innovation. Mechanical engineers develop new equipment and products used by customers to optimize production or improve their work processes. Creativity is an essential part of developing or improving devices so they are of good quality, meet space or weight limitations and achieve the cost objectives of customers. Much of the development process involves brainstorming new ideas and testing them through trial and error.

Communication: Though engineering is often viewed in purely technical terms, you must also have strong communication skills to meet the needs of clients and other stakeholders. In an engineering firm, you must listen effectively to managers to understand their directions and carry them out properly. You must also articulate the progress of a project and provide accurate information on any issues that crop up. If you work independently, or interact with clients, you need to understand client requirements, ask appropriate questions, and provide updates as you work toward development and production goals. In a supervisory position you might also lead a team that helps with research and design, so you must be able to communicate the goals of the project.

Problem-Solving: Mechanical engineers are, above all else, problem solvers. They use math skills and analytical abilities to spot problems and resolve them. This is important in the development process so you can ensure that the devices you create do what clients need them to do. It is also important when you are called on to repair problems with existing devices. For example, you might have to recalibrate testing equipment, fine-tune specifications or adjust materials used in production to get the desired results.

Mechanical engineers get involved in a broad range of fields from aerospace to zero gravity applications.

Computer technology helps mechanical engineers create and analyze designs.Mechanical engineers research, design, develop, build, and test mechanical and thermal sensors and devices, including tools, engines, and machines.

Duties
Mechanical engineers typically do the following:
• Analyze problems to see how mechanical and thermal devices might help solve a particular problem
• Design or redesign mechanical and thermal devices or subsystems, using analysis and computer-aided design
• Investigate equipment failures or difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and to recommend remedies
• Develop and test prototypes of devices they design
• Analyze the test results and change the design or system as needed
• Oversee the manufacturing process for the device
Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest engineering fields. Mechanical engineers design and oversee the manufacture of many products ranging from medical devices to new batteries.
Mechanical engineers design power-producing machines, such as electric generators, internal combustion engines, and steam and gas turbines, as well as power-using machines, such as refrigeration and air-conditioning systems.
Mechanical engineers design other machines inside buildings, such as elevators and escalators. They also design material-handling systems, such as conveyor systems and automated transfer stations.
Like other engineers, mechanical engineers use computers extensively. Mechanical engineers are routinely responsible for the integration of sensors, controllers, and machinery. Computer technology helps mechanical engineers create and analyze designs, run simulations and test how a machine is likely to work, interact with connected systems, and generate specifications for parts.

The following are examples of types of mechanical engineers:

Auto research engineers seek to improve the performance of cars. These engineers work to improve traditional features of cars such as suspension, and they also work on aerodynamics and new possible fuels.
Heating and cooling systems engineers work to create and maintain environmental systems wherever temperatures and humidity must be kept within certain limits. They develop such systems for airplanes, trains, cars, schools, and even computer rooms.
Robotic engineers plan, build, and maintain robots. These engineers plan how robots will use sensors for detecting things based on light or smell, and they design how these sensors will fit into the designs of the robots.”

The various branches of mechanical engineering include:
1. Automobile engineering
2. Aeronautical engineering
3. Marine engineering
4. HVAC engineering
5. Fluid and dynamics engineering
6. Design and CAD engineering
7. Manufacturing and Production engineering
8. Materials and Metrology Engineering
9. Heavy machines and petrochemical engineering
10. Space and aircraft engineering

The standard requirement for a mechanical engineer is a bachelor's degree in the field. You can also earn a master's degree in mechanical engineering if you want to get into higher-level positions or management. Some schools have combination programs that let you earn undergrad and graduate degrees in five to six years.

Hope this answers your query
Good Luck 😊

Prashanth TM

0