I don't know what to pursue in, and I can't find motivation to find it either.

10

I don't feel motivated by anything to try and find out what I want to do. I thought I might've have wanted to go into the computer science field, but now I realized that it's not the direction I think I should go. So I don't know what I want to do now.
#plzmotivateme

10

3
Sharar if there’s something in your life that you don’t like, either try to fix it or move away from it. While its fine to vent occasionally, endless rumination on the negative is a surefire way to kill your motivation.

BABY STEPS – When you let yourself think you'll never be able to win again, you're setting yourself up for the very failure you fear. It's easy to feel overwhelmed when you're trying to reverse your mindset, so try focusing on doing small things well. You don't have to take on the world – just complete one small task with focus and excellence. That small win can help restore your confidence. And if you repeat it, again and again, one step at a time, suddenly you will have managed what may have felt unmanageable.

STAY FOCUSED – When you get caught up in a cycle of obligations but shut off from your own positive forces, you can lose touch with what drives you, and you may find yourself trudging through the day. If that happens, it's time to stop and focus on your mission. Why are you doing what you do? What's the motivation, the drive, the passion, behind everything you're doing? If you can find your mission, you'll get back your motivation, and if you get back your motivation you will find your confidence.

CHANGE–IT-UP – Sometimes you may feel like you're stuck in cement. Nothing you try seems to work. But have you been trying new things, or just variations on the same things that you already know don't work? To shift your perspective and regain your motivation, try doing old things in new ways. And that means changing the way you look at things. Changing your view and your perspective can help you find new solutions and new confidence.

AVOID NEGATIVITY – When things are going wrong and you find yourself feeling challenged, a negative attitude is an understandable development. From there, it's a short jump to engaging in destructive behavior and spending time with people who fuel your negativity and cynicism, and things can quickly spiral out of control. If you are serious about getting back on track you have to stay away from negative thinking, negative people and negative circumstances. Surround yourself with positivity and encouragement.

Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy Sharar. Especially when you're down, you may judge yourself harshly and speak internally to yourself in terrible ways that you'd never use with anyone else. Only you know what’s best for you. Trust your inner voice. Paying attention to your authentic needs and listening to your inner wisdom is one of the best ways to get your motivation back.
Thank You Dexter for your Continued Support. Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that we plant. John Frick Translate
3

Madhu’s Answer

2
First thing I'd like to say, DON'T WORRY. It's stressful, you'll see some of your friends who have their whole lives mapped out and you'll feel pressured but DON'T. I would say, try out different classes in high school/college. This is the best time to discover what you really want to do and what peaks your interest. Reach out to your professors, they're also a good resource and could help put you in the right direction. Try shadowing people in different professions to see how their day to day life is. But most importantly do not stress, if you stress and cave in, you might not find what interests you at all since you rushed. There are so many different career paths out there that are worth exploring, you'd be surprised at what you find interests you!
2

Aneesha’s Answer

1
Hi Sharar! Are you in highschool or in undergrad? You have plenty of time in the first year of college to explore different areas of study! You will be introduced to many organizations and clubs about different things. Step out of your comfort zone and get yourself to attend these career fairs and other things your college or university may offer and see what they're all about!

More specifically, a more non traditional way to do this would be to go on youtube! I used to look up "A day in the life of a doctor" a few years ago and other videos similar to that to see what life is like in that career! Doing that made me realize what excited me and what looked fun and eventually I put in the work to reach that goal! Definitely watch a bunch and see if it leads you to anything! Good luck and feel free to ask more questions!
Thanks Aneesha! By the way, I finished my first year of community college. Sharar S. Translate
1

Adil’s Answer

1
Hi Sharar,

I think you are definitely not alone in this situation. I am not sure if you are in high school or starting your undergrad, but the biggest thing is not to panic. Coming out of high school, I was in the same dilemma on what field I should go into. I think the best thing you could do is get of your comfort zone and try new things. This can be anything from different classes, new experiences, etc. You could also lean on your close friends on what all they like to do and see if there is any type of comparisons to your interests. Overall, I feel like it is totally acceptable to feel the way you are, so I would not stress it one bit.
1

Roddrick’s Answer

1
Find a major is very difficult. Just relax and don't stress yourself out. If you are in high school take that first year and just be exploratory. Try different classes and talk the professors in those classes. Ask questions. With some jobs you are able to shadow someone.
1

CJ’s Answer

1
Hi Sharar,

I'm a rising junior at the University of Colorado Boulder studying Finance and Information Management. During high school I felt the same way. I would ask questions like "How am I suppose to pick something that I'm going to be interested in the rest of my life?" or "How easy is it to switch to a degree that I would enjoy?". Don't stress out, this is a big decision and probably one of the biggest ones so far in your life. But the best part is colleges give you time to explore topics that you might possibly want to study. Take your first year to learn more about potential careers and enjoy the college experience. Even better is that you don't necessary need a degree in a certain field to potentially get a job in that field. I'm an intern at U.S. Bank and our campus team has told us that they hire a wide variety of degrees so that they can add new ways of thinking to the bank. Hopefully I have been helpful and wish you the best of luck in your future!
1

Ted’s Answer

0
It's OK not to know what you want to be when you grow up. Lost of us didn't, and lots of us thought we'd be one thing and ended up following a different path.
At this point, you should focus on the things you know you like doing, the people you want to help, the ways you like to spend your time.

Do you like working on computers? Working with your hands? Being indoors or out? Working with other people or on your own? Working with words vs. numbers? Art vs. science?

Try joining clubs or volunteering in random organizations to "try on" different ways of working and see how you feel in each situation. The more new kinds of environments you put yourself, the more real the choices will seem to you, and the more you'll be able to see the career pathways available to you.

I went to college thinking I wanted to be a journalist because I'm a good writer. I took my first journalism class and realized that reporting news was not what I wanted to do with those skills. I changed to Human Communication so I could write songs and stageplays with more realism and insight. Eventually I soured on playwriting but that Communication training helped me through a career in television production and later as a high school English language arts teacher. When teaching high school didn't make sense anymore, I took my teaching/writing/video production skills and started working in online education creating eLearning courses.

They say that most of the careers you will have available to you don't even exist yet, but if you work towards building your skills in the areas you like to work in, you can be prepared for those jobs of the future.
0

Theodore’s Answer

0
“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life,”

I don't know your exact position or where you are in school but the best advice I can give is to take a step back and think about what you enjoy doing and see how you can apply that to what you want to do. It sounds like you were thinking about doing CS in college, If you're already in college, take a step back and see what you can pivot to from CS if you don't feel like that's an option anymore. If you're still applying to universities, then don't worry, you have at least until your Junior year to decide exactly what you want to do. Good luck, I hope this helped!
0

sushma’s Answer

0
Hi Sharar , It happens to most of us. Sometimes after a point we loose interest. So you will have to first relax and think what makes you happy . For that first you will have to trace back and think what was the key factor that made you choose computer science and then realize what was the reason for the disconnect. Probably that's where you should start and then rest will fall in place.
0

Peter’s Answer

0
Don't worry about this too much. I think the best thing to d is to keep trying and learning new things continuously. Always be discovering. The key to life and happiness is being true to yourself and being kind and good to others around you. Everything else will fall into place.
Hi Peter, although your answer was insightful, it did not directly answer the student's question. Perhaps you can improve your response by giving the student tips on finding motivation! Gurpreet Lally Translate
0

Alina’s Answer

0
Don't worry about it! It is harder to go into college with a decided major and be unsure throughout your courses than it is to go in undecided. People can be pressured to know what they want to do and have a "path" because others do, but I promise others are also figuring it out just like you. In high school and college, try out different courses and explore various interests, figure out what YOU like and take your time doing so!
0

Alina’s Answer

0
0

Madhu’s Answer

0
0

Mula’s Answer

0
Hello Sharar,

I have been in your shoes and only now have developed a newfound passion in life. Going to classes were one of the things I dreaded on a day to day basis and I would never try anything to my greatest potential. I would have many nights wondering what I'm doing with my life and most days I would be sleeping. One key aspect in reestablishing my passion and motivation was through being bored. Try to limit yourself and leave yourself to be bored. When I was bored I started to have an itch for doing something. Most of the time I would end up writing poems, wanting to sing, and to just simply write. Since then, I have had a change in major. I changed my major from Computer Science to English and have solidified my idea on what I want to do in life.

So I urge you to find your go-to when you are bored and start from there. When you are feeling bored evaluate what you would do in that instance and work to integrate that into finding your passion. I also urge you to go out and meet people. Another factor for me to find motivation was to meet like-minded individuals. When you surround yourself with people that are full of passion, they also inspire you to do the same.

I hope this helps and good luck!
0

Roddrick’s Answer

0
0

Hamad’s Answer

0
Hello Sharar,

I feel like the best thing to do is to just take a dip into one of the fields to see if it excites you. I say this because I have also been there... I also thought that computer science was what I wanted to do, but I had no motivation to pursue it and actually find out. It wasn't until I took a day to just immerse myself in it to see what comes out. After that day, I definitely had some renewed interest and decided to seek more information out of it afterwards. I'd definitely recommend for you to do the same!

Best,
Hamad
0

CJ’s Answer

0
Hi Sharar,

0

Shay’s Answer

0
Don't panic, you can take your time to figure out what you want to do. I would also think about the stuff you like and you could naturally find something you're interested in from there. For example:
-Do you like to play video games? Look into game design or testing
-Do you like to watch YouTube videos? Create your own YouTube content
-Do you like scrolling through social media? Become a social media content creator or marketer
-Do you like watching sports or looking at sports statistics? Look into data analysis and analytics
-Do you like eating food? Review food and restaurants on Yelp or cook your own as a chef
These are just a few examples. If you look at the things you like to do, you can create a more natural and fun career path. It's not always about the money, it's about doing what you love. After all, we spend most of our lives from age 22-65 at work, so why not do something that you love?
0

Cathy’s Answer

0
Hello Sharar,

It sounds like you are in limbo. You mentioned that you are a student. Is that high school? Is that college? I knew since junior high that i wanted to be an accountant, but when high school graduation came i knew that i did not want to go directly into college. I wanted a change in what i was doing. I ended up joining the Army for four years. I'm not saying joining the military is for everyone, i'm just saying that you can try other things while trying to figure out what you want to do. You need to decide what works best for you!!
0

Adil’s Answer

0
Hi Sharar,

0