How can I get better at math?

15

Mirsad’s Answer

The mantra here is PRACTICE!!! Practice makes a person perfect. First you need to understand the basics of the area(Say Arithmetic, Algebra, Trigonometry etc) of mathematics you are trying to solve. So, it is important to collect all basics(Let's say Formulae, where to use etc) and understand them well.

Every problem in maths is unique. When you work towards solving a problem, the basics will help you transform the intermediate steps to final result.

It's easy to collect basics and understand them. However, implementation will come from PRACTICE.

Mirsad recommends the following next steps:

Refer my answer

Hi Mirsad, Gurpreet here from CareerVillage.org. This is a good answer but I wanted to let you know that the next steps section is referred to any addition steps you want the student to do and is optional. For instance, you might ask the student to visit a specific website that would allow them to practice Gurpreet Lally

1

Abe’s Answer

In all fields of learning, the adage "practice makes perfect" holds. You become better at math by understanding the fundamental concepts--which you acquire through reading and learning, and putting these concepts to practice, either by solving problem sets, or applying the concepts to problems you are fascinated by. The more you practice, the more you understand how different branches of math are interconnected, and the more you get better.

1

Vijaykumar’s Answer

Math is a problem solving subject.

The key to succeeding in Mathematics is not to study Mathematics, but constantly working on mathematical problem solving.

A lot of problems. All kinds of problems. The more, the merrier! The harder, the better.

Tackling past exam series is one way to go, and to get better at it, preferably under simulated exam conditions.

Practice is the only success story for Math.

1

Lesley’s Answer

Repetition of the concept will help. Repetition of the concept will help. Repetition of the concept will help!!! You get the idea. :-)
Study in short, 50-minute sessions, then give yourself a brain break. This will help the information get into your long-term memory bank (look up Pomodoro method and use their timers)
If you hire a tutor, reverse the tutor/student role. Try to teach the tutor what you know. You'll figure out very quickly where you are struggling
Khan Academy has great lessons for Math and it's free.
Download Math Apps on your phone that you can use to quiz yourself. These will help with number sense.

1

James’s Answer

I would recommend creating real world scenarios for you to have to apply math practice. Things like balancing a budget, or saving for a Mortgage or car, or calculating long term interest. Use excel to build things, but don't use a template to do all the work for you.

0

Sri’s Answer

KA,
Passion times effort is equal to Skill. Try learning by small segments and use in your daily life. See and apply your every day activity into a Math problem and you will be delighted how easy Math is.

0

Caroline’s Answer

Practice practice practice! One resource that I have found to be really helpful for learning more about many different topics is Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/. It's FREE and helps break down many math concepts in an easy-to-understand way. Best of luck!

Caroline recommends the following next steps:

Check out https://www.khanacademy.org/

0

Rakshika’s Answer

Understanding the concept before solving any problem is important. If you have difficulty in understanding the concept, you should ask your teacher to go over the concept once again for you, till you understand it or look for online help.
Once you understand the concept, make sure you practice the problems. Start with the easy ones and gradually move towards solving the more difficult ones.

0

Bryce’s Answer

I would say one of the best things you can do to try and better your math skills is to practice. Practice does not just help you with specific problems, it helps you develop the critical thinking skills that will go on to help you on more complex math problems. Improving your critical thinking skills will allow you to think outside the box when it comes to tackling math problems. The last thing I can come up with is to make sure you seek out help early and often. I have always been good at math, but when I got to algebra I was not very good at thinking abstractly. I reached out and found help and have not had many problems since.

0

Sangameshwar’s Answer

Understanding basics and practice is very important.

Every problem is unique but the basic/formula is the same. So Spend time in solving problems.

0

Debjeet’s Answer

In order to get better at Mathematics or anything for that matter, practice is the main focus point.
1. Make sure you prepare a schedule for studying Maths everyday.
2.Stick to your schedule.
3.Prepare a list of topics
4.Categorize according to difficulty
5.Solve more problems from the difficult topics compared to the easier ones.
6. Follow these religiously.

All the best.

0

Shelby’s Answer

I see a lot of people saying practice, and as a person who teaches math, I love this answer. However, one thing I would like to add is this: do not be afraid to ask for help! If you learn better by watching someone do a problem, see if your teacher will give some example problems for you to solve together. Or, try searching the topic you want to learn on YouTube/Khan Academy/any math help website to see how a professional goes about solving these problems. It definitely helps to try the problems yourself and practice individually; but, if you need help, then ask! Hope this helps!

0

Terrilynn’s Answer

Practice sguared!! Work through more and more chalkenging equatuons. Work math solutions out manually without a calculator ir pencil....play chess. Read math theory. Practice more

0