Everyone says I have so much potential to do serious jobs (e.g lawyer) so I need help from you.

As I am always top of class and like learning new things, my family says I’d be good for serious jobs like being a lawyer that will get me lots of money. I agree with them as top paid jobs are in this field. But at the same time, I want to be a dancer, actress and a model for my passions . whereas law gives a guaranteed rich life, which is what really want.

BTW I had to put I’m in USA because the option of the UK wasn’t there.

#law #career #business #everyone #confused #life #money

Hi Samira, Family is always going to want what they think is best for you, and many times the focus is solely on the financial side. Don't get me wrong, money is important, but it is not the end all be all. Follow your passions, and find the path that brings you happiness. When you do this, you no longer are just working a job, you are on your career path. The money will follow when you do what you enjoy, and you can't put a price on happiness. Good luck finding your path! Chris Ochs

Thank you so much, Chris! It’s not that my family don’t support me it’s just they really would be sad to waste my knowledge haha :) Samira M.

5

Maria’s Answer

Firstly, good job for always being on top of your class! It also seems that your family tries to consult you in regard to your professional career and this is perfectly normal. There are some professions that are usually considered to be 'safer' than others, however being successful is not determined by the job itself, but from ones attitude, ambition, effort and performance overall. Hence there are great and very successful professionals that thrive on different fields throughout the world. In addition, being passionate about dance, might not necessarily mean that you will be a dancer for a living, but does not also mean that you shall choose something completely opposite. What I would advise you is to explore your options and set your priorities straight. What you could do is create a pros and cons list per profession, while also make an in depth research on each one, in order to have an overview of what being a model or a lawyer actually means.

Wow! Your answer really made me see clearly about this situation. Thank you so much, I’ll take everything on board and will really use this :) Samira M.

1

Howard’s Answer

Dear Samira,

While your parents or relatives suggest that you study a particular field and gain a lot of money, that is not the true key to what will inspire you. Money of course is a good thing, but if you don't love what you do, then you will be unhappy. I believe that you should choose a profession that you believe you will truly enjoy because if you really like what you are doing, you will be motivated to do well, and if you are motivated you are more apt to succeed. The success should eventually bring you the money you need to survive and flourish as an individual.

Your next step should be to concentrate on your career goal and learn as much as you can about that career. Take a class in the specific area you are interested in or ask someone who is already in that specific career, the advice you need to become a success. I wish you the very best in your search and remember happiness is more important than just money. Best wishes.

Thank you! Really helpful :) Samira M.

completely agree, do what makes you happy. Margaret Salemi

0

Ksenia’s Answer

Hi Samira,

You're facing a very interesting challenge. Dream job is something that lies onto the conjunction of: assets (skills, knowledge, connections); aspirations (what you like doing) and market realities (what people will actually pay for).

We usually say that our passions do not necessarily need to become work. Sometimes, it's actually even better if we keep passions as hobby or a side hustle. At the same time, you might want to think of how you can align your aspirations and market value: e.g. may be you'd like to become a lawyer in show business or sport?

You might want to create a list of professions that can meet all 3 criteria. And I would recommend reaching out to lawyers and models/actresses/dancers for informational interviews to learn more about their work and see if these professions are going to be truly rewarding for you (not only money-wise).

Wishing you the best of luck in this journey!

Thank you! I would keep this advice and act on it :) Samira M.

0

Simeon’s Answer

Just like with investing, I'd say to diversify your life portfolio. If you are committed to one of the arts, I'd recommend keeping it going even if you wind up pursuing a different career. That way, if an opportunity comes up, you'll be in a place where you can transition easily. Keep resumes for both and develop a professional network for both.

Thank you! Samira M.

0

Nupur’s Answer

Hi Samira,

First of all, great job for being best in your class! That proves your commitment to learning.

Family tends to guide us to a less risky path which is totally correct on their part. However, if you are committed to a profession that is also your passion, life becomes easy and enjoyable at the same time. I would suggest to maybe take up your passions as a side hustle with a steady source of income since you also want to make money :). That would give you a some exposure to your passions and how it would be to have them as a full time job and should help you make up your mind!

Hope that helps. Wish you goodluck!

Thank you so much! :) Samira M.

0