Christian O.

121

2

How important is knowing sports people, broadcasters and people who are in the field of sports entertainment, to get into the business?

I am studying Broadcast Communication at North Central College in Naperville, IL and I want to know if I should contact broadcasting firms and meet people who are already in the field to get into the business. #communications #sports-management #broadcast-media #public-relations

1 comment Click to expand

Networking will never hurt you. I got my job purely through networking with my school's alumni, earning an internship, and then remaining in contact with the people that I met and got to know. If you want to learn more about the business and prove yourself and your interest in the process definitely reach out to people in your field of interest.

Last updated Aug 23 '16 at 11:58

Hi, Christian:

To answer your question, the answer is yes - it's always important to network, in any business. The thing is, while there are people who will give you advice specifically to network, etc, I approach it from a different perspective. If you really love what you do, you will wake up every day asking something like, "What else can I do in this industry today?" If you have that kind of drive, you will naturally gravitate to doing productive things and meeting "the right" people.

If you have to be told, "You need to get internships," or things like that, then you're simply not going to make it in this (or any other) business. To come to someone like me and say, "I have a ton of drive but I don't know how to channel it," that's fine. That's what people like me are here to help you do, but if we have to tell you things like, "Make sure to do your networking," then you don't have enough drive to start and you simply won't make it. If you have the drive, you'll naturally and without being told just start doing things that will eventually move you into the circles you desire.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Barry Abrams

Last updated Aug 24 '16 at 08:06

Christian-

Nowadays, it's (almost) all about who you know in order to get your foot in the door. Like Carol, my career path took off the way it did simply by networking. I connected with a producer who actually had graduated from my high school in 1989. From there, I was able to shadow and work on his show and I met even more people along the way who saw my work ethic, ultimately getting me to where I am now. Use LinkedIn and websites like these to learn and grow your knowledge of the business and find out what opportunities await you to do so. Hope this helps!

Last updated Aug 28 '16 at 03:15

Your question is very astute, and the colleagues above answered it well. I would simply add that you might want to think of yourself as a commodity or product. If you are sitting on the shelf, what are the odds anyone will know that you are there? This translates into networking, internships and all of the above. It also means making your career your full-time job and the focus of every contact you make. Maybe your parents or their friends know someone in the business. Maybe a former teacher can make an introduction. Maybe sitting in the chair at your dentist, you find out that her son is in the business. You see my point? Don't sit on the shelf. Get out there and let people find out what a great product you are. Good luck. Barb
Last updated Dec 05 '17 at 09:57

Schools Add a schools