What type of clothing is business casual?

I am planning on going to a few interviews for internships/jobs and I am required to wear 'business casual.' I have tried looking this up on Google, but there are multiple different options that make things too vague. Please list the types of clothing for both males and females, as this question will tailor to other people as well. #business #student #interviews #clothing #business-casual #interview-clothing

Stuart’s Answer

Updated Rockville, Maryland

If you've already seen a lot of suggestions about what constitutes "business casual," but you're confused because it seems to cover a wide range, here's my advice: Go with the LEAST casual option. If some of the things you're seeing suggest a tie, and the others don't, wear a tie.

Why? It's never a bad idea to be the best dressed person in the group. If an organization has a room full of interns and they're thinking about offering one or two of them a permanent position, they're going to pay attention to the most professional ones first. And part of what makes you seem professional is your choice of outfit.

Also, it's much easier to be overdressed and then dress down from there than it is to make your first impression as "too casual" and then convince an employer that you could dress up more if they wanted you to. First impressions are important.

The number 1 rule, though, is "know your audience." Look at how the permanent employees are dressed at various levels. Nobody is expecting you to turn up to your internship dressed the same way the corporate executives are dressed. But watching them will give you a good idea of the organizational culture. If you're trying to turn this internship into something more permanent, it's important that you show them how perfect a fit you are for them. And looking the part is a big step in the right direction.

So dress UP, knowing you can always dress down later.

I like the way you perceive things, Stuart. This was great advice that I think could help anybody in an emergency situation. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!
You're very welcome, Karen. I'm a jeans and t-shirt guy myself, but this advice has served me well. Take care.

Updated Washington

Hello Karen,

From my experience I have outlined the below ideal articles of clothing that should be worn.

Male - Button down shirt ( Solid or Patterned as in plaid) -Khaki's(Colors should always compliment the top I would not recommend wearing a bright color) -Loafers, Chukka boot, leather lace up

Female - Blouse or a tank with a light sweater ( button down top is also an option) -Slacks ( not to form fitting a little loose so it snot specific body shape) - ankle boot, Loafer, leader lace up, short heel or even a ballerina flat

I would always recommend to not wear denim, tennis shoes, hats or any additional accessories that may be distracting to your outfit. A big part of choosing what to wear would also be based off of they type of style the company you are applying for. Once again these are just from my experiences of interviewees I have had in the past and some of what I have worn and successfully looked the part.

Hope this helps!

Hi Kim! Your help was greatly needed. Thanks!

Daniela’s Answer

Updated State of Goiás, State of Goiás, Brazil

Hi Karen,

I got an incredible tutorial about What is Business Casual Clothes and How to use them in the job ambient.

(Although part of the link is in Portuguese, all explanation is in English.)

I hope you like it. Enjoi it.

http://www.voceaprendeagora.com/aula/what-is-business-casual/503

Thanks so much Daniela!

Olivia’s Answer

Updated Raleigh, North Carolina

Business casual clothing is considered typically jeans, polos, blouses, and nice shoes. Women can wear dresses to be a little bit more dressed up and men can wear blazers to dress up their look as well.