Do you prefer frontend or backend of your Computer Science oriented job? Why?

10

I am asking this because I am trying to discern which one I will prefer. I do not have very much knowledge or resources regarding which one will be more beneficial to what I would want to do. #computer-science #computer #japan #java #python #javascript

10

Miriam’s Answer

1
Hi! I have done both front-end and back-end development and I liked both of them. When designing the front end I had to think about how the user is going to interact with the screen, what will make sense to them and be easy for them to use. When designing the back end I had to think about the logical workings of the system. How do I make this happen? I also had to make sure my code was written really clearly so that the next developer to read my code could understand it. I think you have to think about what is most interesting to you - the user interface or the logic? Or maybe get an internship at a small company and get the opportunity to do both! #frontend #backend #computer-science
1

Joanne’s Answer

1

When I was in school, I was trained to be a programmer, however, my first job had me more on the 'operations' side of computer science, and honestly, I strongly prefer operations .. first line support .. even help desk .. because I feel like I make a difference.

One of the clues which may help you lean towards one side or the other are the personality profile tests (myers-brings .. what color is your parachute, etc ....).

All of those tests that I took indicate that I like to 'firefight' ... basically provide help as needed to make the computer world a better place.

1

Amy’s Answer

0
As others have said ... I like both! I think of the whole thing like just solving puzzles.

On the backend (which I would include on the server, in the cloud, or in the database) you're mostly dealing with enforcing a workflow, storing data, retrieving data, or doing calculations. Often you end up either trying to do it really carefully (using lots of checks and balances) or doing it really fast (using a lot of computer resources in a big network).

On the frontend (which I think of as a user using a browser, an app, a device), you're very human-oriented and that's hard and messy. Sometimes you're just making things look nice and fun, sometimes you're trying to slow people down because there's something important (like submitting your credit card info or committing to a buying decision), sometimes you're trying to describe something really complex (like deep navigation links), and sometimes you're just trying to capture information correctly (e.g. web forms, validation, voice input).

Both of these are great careers. And there's many universes within each. I think the question you might ask yourself is: do I like solving problems between machines (backend) or between humans and machines (frontend). It's OK to love both, but it's very hard to do both well.
0

Ryan’s Answer

0
There is a high demand for programmers with both frontend or backend skills; even full-stack developers that know both! For me, backend development has been more enjoyable, although I like them both. I feel like I solve more complex and algorithmically challenging issues with backend development. However, there is a more visible impact with frontend development as you can see how the end-user interacts with your work. Overall, I'd suggest not limiting yourself to frontend or backend development; try both and if you enjoy one significantly more then focus on that.
0

shibani’s Answer

0
I preferred front end development as you can do the following:
prioritize user experience
bring an idea to life with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
create tools that enhance interaction with the site in any browser
test the site for usability and fixing any bugs
0

Tsutomu’s Answer

0
For front side, you need learn more about HTML/Javascript/CSS and also need sense of "Beautiful" or design. For back end, you need more logic thinking, understanding program language , database and so on.
0

Nancy’s Answer

0
The current trend nowadays is the demand for a FULL STACK developer, one who can build software for both front-end and back-end. If you are proficient in both areas, don't limit yourself by focusing only on one vs the other; this is especially more important in agile software development and smaller teams.
0

Shivangi’s Answer

0
Hi
I prefer doing backend as it's more algorithmic-ally intensive , you got to crunch a lot of logic to solve the problem at hand , Object oriented concepts are highly used and its fun to actually work at the backbone of the software ; the very core of it.
So if you have a strong background in algorithms and in programming languages like Java/ C++ , also if you love going around thinking for solutions and like playing with logic and have a hunger to make your code better in less lines , BACKEND is your thing.
If you like the beautification part of the software , frontend be your thing ! :D
0