What made you want to do CS?

Asked Cleveland, Ohio

I am a high school senior who has just started to learn the Java language. I"m curious as to what made professionals want to learn Computer Science? #computer-science #computer #japan #java #python #cs

Bryon’s Answer

Updated California, California

When I was a kid, my dad got an Apple IIe compatible personal computer called a Laser 128 for work and he let me use it. It had a whopping 128KB of RAM and no display. (You needed to plug it into a TV like a video game console.) However, I didn't care at the time because I could play video games on it. I remember playing games like Number Muncher and Carmen Sandiego.

If you didn't put a game diskette in the floppy disk drive and turned on the power, the Laser 128 would drop you at a BASIC prompt. I started playing around with the console and learning some elementary BASIC commands. However, "advanced" control flow structures like "for loops" were too complicated for my elementary school brain. So I went to the library and checked out some books on how to program games. In the back of those books, there were complete printouts of the code for games that I could then very slowly type into the Laser 128 and save to a floppy disk. After doing this a few times, I started to understand what the code was doing and my interest in computer programming was born.

Joanne’s Answer

Updated Montclair, New Jersey

Now .. I have kids your age :) so computers were a novelty back in the day.

I went more along the lines of 'what don't I like' - so anything english/history/etc .. was out of the question.

I do like ...

1. being hands-on (I have no fear of computer hardware)
  2. I'm very math literate .. I actually enjoy data and using it to paint a picture
  3. I'm flexible and desire change .. the computer science industry is ALWAYS evolving.
  4. A paycheck is always nice ... a computer science major is likely to find a job after graduation

Keep coding ... you may want to look at a raspberry PI so you can code and enjoy the results.

http://raspberrypi.org/

Shivangi’s Answer

I wanted to pursue a degree in computer science because I love playing with numbers and patterns , and coding seemed a good way to escape the mundane routine because each time you get to learn something new. The motive of programming is to analyze and solve problems logically so the solving part is fun because there are a lot of approaches and you have the freedom to try and test your own approaches , bend and fall at times with compiler errors but then fixing em is a joy in its own. Number crunching is fun as it doesn't have any set rules , try whatever you want to get to the solution so i like that freedom with the tech. So its always fun to see your solution work in the end and make a difference in a way.

Sara’s Answer

Updated San Francisco, California

For me there wasn't one thing specifically but a variety of reasons. This three come to mind:

1. I was good at it and enjoyed it.
  2. I wanted a career that provided me with flexibility. No matter the company, the country, or industry CS skills are needed.
  3. Lastly, the skills you gain are useful for non-CS jobs as well so it opened many doors. Keep in mind when you study CS you have options that cover the whole spectrum from going into more management/consulting roles to software engineering.

Eric’s Answer

Updated Cambridge, Massachusetts

I was inspired at a young age about the fact that computers can do so many wonderful things, and that real people had programmed them to do all those wonderful things, so this meant that I could be one of the people who made computers do wonderful things. That was the motivation to get started, and once I had started, what I was able to do was its own reward: I can write programs to benefit me, my friends, and sometimes improve people's lives in general.

Akilah’s Answer

I code because I like to solve things. I like the challenge it brings me. No matter how much I already know, I still learn something new every day. Also, as we continue to become more and more reliable on technology, the world of programming will continue to grow and you will have so many different opportunities to further develop your career.

Miriam’s Answer

Updated New York, New York
I fell in love with coding when I realized I could build something out of nothing. Using my words and my brain - I could build anything.