What are good jobs to get you started and help you to build confidence?

5

I would like to soon apply for a job. I'm 17 years old and have not previously had any work, I'm also quite a quiet person so would like a job thats not overwhelming, but that still offers good experience and is of a relatively good pay for a few days a week (I need the time to relax, as well as study for my three A-levels). #career #jobs #career-choice #interviews #time-management #retail #customer-experience

5

Lidiane’s Answer

2
Hi, you are definitely start in the right path, is good start work young this will help you to find out what you like, and what you want for your future.
Since you have no experience any kind of job you will learn and will be beneficial, so do not get attached on titles and money now, experience is priceless, take advantage now that you live with your parents and do not really need to pay bills.
Remember, to arrive in the top, you must start to step the stars, nobody starts a career from the top.

good luck
2

Mary’s Answer

1
Hi Jodie

I can relate to being a quiet person at that age. I was happy to read that education is very important to you and therefore finding a job that will complement your goals.

My favorite question to ask is what do you enjoy doing for fun (#hobby) and what is your favorite class in school (that's the class that you enjoy studying and learning more). The answer to that question will help you to navigate all of the career choices. Example: Love photography and history. This can lead to an art history degree (#fieldofstudy) that can point you to work as a museum curator (quiet place), educator (high school or college) of course it does not stop with the 2 listed. Based on this seek out related areas to look for employment.

As a quiet person, I enjoyed working at summer camps. This provided me an opportunity to have fun and build confidence. Working retail can be overwhelming, if you want a challenge go for it. Local libraries are an option, it will provide a studious environment also consider tutoring.

On the other side if you want to become more vocal, challenge yourself.

I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing the results

#career #jobs #career-choice #interviews #time-management #retail #customer-experience
1

Jennifer’s Answer

1
Dear Jodie,

Such good answers have been provided and I don't have too much to add, but I would say that any job that you get at age 17 will be good experience. I remember my first job at TJ Maxx well. It was entry level and I started by stocking the floor but eventually worked up to cashier, head casher, and then cash office. I worked there all through high school and college and it taught me customer service, responsibility, and rewards for hard work. Later in college, I worked in restaurants and bars which also taught me how to prioritize and handle an array of different customers and personalities. Whatever experience that you get will be good and will contribute to your future.

Best of luck!!
1

Angelina’s Answer

0

The best jobs you can seek to start you off are retail jobs, customer service is in every career you will end up choosing for yourself. You will always have to interact with someone, therefore trying to find a job in retail will help you build the confidence you will need later in life.

0