What is the best way to present myself? Can I integrating my skills into a single profession?

I have a background in healthcare and business management. I partnered with the local DHS office as a benefits counselor. I am community educator and run a small informational co-op on like. I was recently approved as a researcher with our local museum. I am not sure how to combine these into one profession. I have a hard time writing bios or explaining what I do, although I seem to be able to help just about everyone! Thanks in advance. teacher business career entrepranuer selfemployed smallbusiness Journalism Contentcreator

4
Pros
4
0

Jonathan’s Answer

Hi Kendra - This is a great question. The first thing you need to do is identify what job you'd like to apply for. Many jobs are a mish-mash of different skills and responsibilities, but knowing which job you'll be applying to will help you "shape" your resume to your next job.

In other words - once you define your end point, you work backwards from there. I hope this helps!
Jonathan, you nailed this one! Great answer. And, welcome to Career Village - thanks for joining! Kim Igleheart
1
Pros
1
0

Suzanne’s Answer

Kendra, it sounds like you have a wide-ranging set of skills and interests. As I look at them, healthcare, counseling, community involvement, education, research and curiosity stand out to me as aspects of your professional life which you might like to combine into one career path. One possibility you might like to consider is getting a masters in social work (MSW). Within social work there are several interest tracts you could choose from such as working directly with clients affected by trauma or various mental health conditions, or working with social/criminal justice issues more generally. An example of a program is Howard University's online MSW program which offers these tracks:
Online MSW Program Concentrations
Children, Youth and Family Social Work.
Administrative Leadership.
Mental Health and Adult Social Work.
Community Social Work (including programs which emphasize the needs of the Hispanic community)
Community Organization, Planning and Administration.

Suzanne recommends the following next steps:

Try to speak to people with MSW degrees to see what they do and if you could see yourself in those roles.
Make an appointment (virtual is fine) to talk to an advisor at a nearby university about social work programs.
Please stay in touch and let us know how your exploratory journey is going and what questions are coming up. Good luck!
0

Jonathan is exactly right - you tailor the resume for the position you are applying to. My expertise in operating an emergency vehicle isn't going to help me land a desk job! However, you'd be surprised how you CAN market skills in one career towards a totally unrelated career.

As an example, I was once helping a young lady who wanted to work at a doggy daycare facility. Her only experience was in fast food. But, we were able to focus on her customer service skills and experience in maintaining a clean and disease-free environment - something important in food safety and animal safety!

Focus on the relevant, leave out the totally irrelevant - a resume isn't a biography.

0

Anthony’s Answer

Please, note the following :-
1. Analysis of the various skills.
(Healthcare, business, etc. ).
2. Build scale of preferences
concerning the skills.
3. Identify the TYPE of profession
and relate it to the chosen skills.
4. Consider the interest and
general knowledge you have in
the profession.
5. Consider your ABILITY to
undertake the job when it is due.
6. Virtues of dignity, honesty,
transparency, faithfulness and
hard work at all times,
whenever you are considered
and doing your work.
7. Best wishes.
0