4

Learning coding in school

I'm a student learning how to code and I was wondering, how much coding did you learn in school that you use now? I only ask this because a lot of the coding we are doing, I cannot think what it would be used for in most things. The main one i'm curious about is strings, what are they used in/for? #coding #programming #technology #software #computer

4

0

Tyler’s Answer

Hi Gianmarco!

I think the question that you ask is very complex and can be answered many different ways. I would recommend that you review all the answers as they all can be true. My gut answer is "it depends"... It depends a lot on the industry that you work in, the company that you work for, the team that you work on and what their software preferences are (and it can vary at each level)! I think one of the most transferable skills from what I learned in college to what I am doing in my current role is that learn the ins and outs of coding and analytical software. This can carry you as you begin to go learn additional coding languages or learn how to utilize other platforms.
0
0

Betty’s Answer

Hi Gianmarco,

Speaking from the experience as a former database engineer, strings are data that could be a long paragraph or long text that is posted or entered, and gets sent to some computer systems for processing. Sometimes the string is parsed (separate out the string into separate text or phrases based on the delimiters) so we can make sense of the information. Based on the information of the data, then some action could be taken.

Here's a very rough example. Say you post on the Roblox Facebook page how you love their games but your account has been hacked and compromised several times and you don't like their security. Your post or string will be sent over via the web to their Roblox artificial intelligence system which analyzes your response and starts to flag key words like "love", "hack" and "security" and the information gets stored in their system. Someone from Roblox may see your post or get alerted about your post and immediately respond to your dissatisfaction and reassure you that they're working on some security upgrade. Now imagine 1,000 people post similar messages with the same complaint. The Roblox artificial intelligence system may analyze all the strings of text and deliver a report to the Roblox security team of how many people complained, the dates of their complaints, and where they experienced the problem in the system. So strings are useful bits of data that would help the security team respond to customer problems and they may ship out an emergency fix.
0
0

Amit’s Answer

Others have commented about strings, but I'd like to add something about the basics of coding. A lot of what's taught about coding is basically about syntax, but that's the easiest (and rote) part of coding. Main thing is to be able to break down the problem into smaller chunks, to be able to come up with the right data representation (data structures), to be able to create solutions that are optimal in use of both the memory and execution time, to understand how to maintain an evolving code, how to debug a code in case of problems, profile and analyze code ... these are skills that would remain with you always, and will be needed always.
0
0

Chetan’s Answer

Whatever code that you are doing in school, large percentage of similar code you will still do in the real world.

For example, you mentioned about strings, in real world, lot of times, you get lot of data and from that data you might need to extract some data that you need for some work. In those cases, you will need to parse all of this data, find the data that (i.e. strings) you need. This all will require lot of knowledge of string handling, how would you optimize if there is tons of data that you need to process and extract important information, etc.

So never think that school code learning will not be useful in real world. Keep coding :)
0