22
Asked 1030 views

How can I increase my connections in IT?

I'd like to increase my connections in IT to learn more about other people's experiences and have someone to go to in the future in case I need any advice or help.

22

2

Kristi’s Answer

Hi there - I suggest as others have:
- follow some interesting IT thought leaders on LinkedIn
- join some industry groups on LinkedIn or look on platforms like Slack or Discord for groups of IT professionals
- reach out to recent graduates from schools you attended who are in that industry
- attend industry events or webinars - ask questions, and follow up with speakers sharing what you find compelling
2
1

Angelica’s Answer

Hi Danielle,

As someone else said, LinkedIn is definitely a great place to start! Joining groups and connecting with people working in the field is how I started networking after graduation. Most people on LinkedIn are more than happy to give advice and insight on their profession. There are also a lot of MeetUp groups centered around IT. Some are for certain locations, but a majority are remote. You can even reach out to people directly on there. I've also found that forums like Discord and Reddit can be helpful if you join the right ones.
1
0

Pushkar’s Answer

I guess this has been answered already but here’s my take on this. LinkedIn is definitely a great place to do networking. I would suggest to take time and build your profile on LinkedIn, introduce yourself and then join the groups YOU ARE INTERESTED IN.
Research about industry/companies you like, search for similar profile or the you aspire and reach out to them. Cold messaging works but not every time.
Meetups and conferences are another great way to do networking.
0
0

Marija’s Answer

Hi!
Great question, I suggest you to register on LinkedIn and connect with people from IT department. It is a great opportunity to talk to people with similar interests and find out more about it.
Try to participate in conferences or workshops about IT. Also there are a lot of books about it so try to investigate and learn deeper about IT section.
Good luck! 🤞
0
0

MICHAEL’s Answer

create a LinkedIn profile asap. Reach out to professionals in your area or area of interest. Ask them to answer questions - like this one - in LinkedIn chat. Find "IT Administrators", "IT Managers" etc at companies you really like.
0
0

Hi Danielle
Hope you are doing great!

On my personal experience, try to look for coding communities, specially focused on competitive programming, coding tournaments and other activities, at college at was the local coding club president and let me tell you networking goes hard in these clubs. If you are graduating soon don´t worry there is a lot of coding communities online, reddit even facebook.
0
0

Milica’s Answer

The most important thing is zo create a Linkedin account. Besides that, it is imortant to get familiar with IT companies and do some internship program.
0
0

Brendon’s Answer

Go to networking events, use LinkedIn, find programs to get into, meet people at a college.
0
0

Una’s Answer

I believe forums and online communities are a good place to start. Also, LinkedIn is a great source of topic oriented groups and going to conferences.
0
0

Brandon’s Answer

If you're in college, there are many opportunities to network within IT. There are clubs and organizations you can attend as well as interact with your classmates. You could also join forums and online discussions.
0
0

Dylan’s Answer

Dear Michael,
You can join some industry groups on LinkedIn, networking on LinkedIn or attending as much IT related conferences as possible.
Definitely will need follow some good thought IT leaders on LinkedIn
Hopes this help 😉
0
0

Miroslav’s Answer

Visit different conferences and be active in IT communities, especially online communities. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
0
0

Judy’s Answer

LinkedIn is always a great forum as others have shared. If there is someone you know that has the knowledge you are looking for, ask to mentor.
0
0

Andreja’s Answer

Start with LinkedIn, read relevant articles to the topic.
0
0

Tim’s Answer

I am a big fan of utilizing LinkedIn for networking, and would suggest searching for topics or individuals in the industry you are interested in. Often times, if you write a description of what you are wanting to accomplish (learn more, network with professionals in that industry, or even just general knowledge) it can be a powerful tool. Be open to networking.
0
0

Ankita’s Answer

Local Meetups group and LinkedIn is your friend for making connections in IT. Sometimes it's also useful to look for acquaintance, your friends who works in IT can always introduce you to bigger groups and help align with your interests. Hope that helps!
0
0

Margaret’s Answer

Find and join communities and events:
- participate in a startup competition or hackathon at your school or in your community
- find a tech-oriented co-working space. They often have socials, talks, or events
- find conferences in your field at your university, in your town, or nationwide. Some might have student scholarships
- become a professor's assistant, especially one who hosts events in your field,
0
0