Jaidyn L.’s Avatar

Jaidyn L.

91

1

Is it ok to not be certain on the major you want to study for in college?

I have multiple majors that I am interested in but I do not know which one is the right option for me. #decidingmajor #undecided #career-counseling #college-major

Yes.

However, you will have to decide one (in the case of UNC-CH it was 2nd semester of Sophomore year). Personally, I took classes that interested me, but also classes that would fulfill the 'general education' requirements (most liberal arts schools have a good number of these requirements).

In my case I went from wanting to study biology and genetics to studying computer science (something I had never tried in high school). I didn't rush the decision, but took math classes that I enjoyed and a computer science class that interested me. The next semester I signed up for a few more and by the time I HAD to decide on a major, I knew what to pick. If I had made the decision before ever stepping foot in a college classroom and forced that decision, I would not have picked computer science.

Finally, I have peers who received their degrees in languages and political science and they work in technical fields. Your degree choice at ~19 years old isn't a determination of what you have to do with the rest of your life.

Last updated Apr 18 at 12:57
Hi Jaidyn, Yes it is ok to not be certain on the major you want to study. You never know what you would be expected to do in the future. However, to have little certainty in your life especially in your career will help you to win some time. Of course we were not born with certain plans in our minds. In order to find a major that you really enjoy and you see yourself in it in the future, I would recommend you to try internships and part time jobs related to majors you are interested in. This will help you to get a taste of a real world and also you will get to see how does it feel to be working there in the future. I would also recommend you to find a mentor who is working in a major you are interested in and ask them to describe you their daily routine, what do they like about their job and what they don't like. I hope once you go through this path you will have a clear vision of who you want to be in the future. I hope I could help you somehow. I wish you good luck with everything in your life!
Last updated Oct 16 '17 at 00:29
Hi Jaidyn, Absolutely. It's hard to know what one is truly passionate about if you have never tried it out. I recommend you do the following: (1) take classes in every single field you are interested in, (2) talk to professors about the courses, majors, and potential career paths after graduating from such major, and (3) join clubs in school related to those majors. This three-tiered approach should give you a much better idea as to what you find most interesting while trying it out. And if you end up liking a bunch of different majors that's ok too. You can major in one subject and minor in the others. Hope this helps!
Last updated Oct 13 '17 at 12:43