6
Asked 202 views

Is it realistic for a Bronx girl with “Bronx education” to try to become a nurse?

I’m a senior in high school. I am planning on going to bmcc and majoring in undeclared health so I can hopefully get into the nursing program. I'm scared that the pre-reqs will be hard

Note: this question was asked anonymously by a student

6

1

Daniella’s Answer

Absolutely achievable! The key lies in adoring your chosen subject and never throwing in the towel. Should you encounter any difficulties, assistance is always within reach. I have no doubt that you possess the ability to succeed.
1
0

Kess’s Answer

Yes!! Absolutely!! You'll have to keep your nose to the grindstone and you may have to work harder than some of your peers but it is absolutely doable! I came from a low-income area that was known for its meth manufacturing. My husband came from a place where only about 1/2 of the high school students graduated. We are both pursuing higher medical degrees.

You've made it through the Bronx; sounds to me like you're already a helluva tough chica. You can do this!!!

Kess recommends the following next steps:

Start at your local community college to knock out prereqs and get a head start while saving money.
Talk to the community college advisors and the university advisers on the best path for you for nursing school.
Keep going!!!! You can do this!!!
0
0

A "Bronx girl" with a "Bronx education" probably knows a whole lot more about how to relate to PEOPLE than a lot of the nurses I have met. That life experience counts for a whole lot. You can learn the rest! Just keep your eye on the prize, don't let anybody or anything de-rail your plans. Do your readings. Study hard. Ask questions. You've got this!
0
0

Lorraine’s Answer

You can do it! Being passionate about nursing is the first requirement.
During my sophomore year, I dropped out of high school to support my family financially, and went back to school to get my GED at the age of 18. After that, I started attending community college. While I had to take some remedial math, writing, and reading courses, I was able to move forward. At present, I am 1.5 months away from completing my doctorate in nursing.
Seek support from school counselor, teacher, family, friends, or other support system if you need help. Remember the end goal in those challenging moments!

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!
0
0

Paige’s Answer

Hey there! Go for it! I firmly stand by the idea that hard work, dedication, and passion can triumph over natural talent or ideal conditions. As an educator in Invasive Cardiology, I've witnessed this belief prove true on numerous occasions.

Moreover, there's a wealth of amazing resources that present information in a simple yet comprehensive manner. On YouTube, I've used Crash Course, Ninja Nerd, and Khan Academy. While Crash Course offers a fantastic overview, the other two excel in delving deep and clarifying the intricacies of some challenging concepts. Don't let your background or the situations you've faced dictate your future path.

Paige recommends the following next steps:

Get a feel for some programs you'd like to go through at different colleges and universities, but also look at allied health fields as well.
Create a plan on how to get there.
Follow through with your plan, and stay focused.
Don't forget what made you passionate.
0
0

Madisyn’s Answer

Absolutely, you can become a nurse! College will provide you with all the essential knowledge and skills needed to excel in nursing and meet the educational requirements. It's natural to feel nervous about the pre-requisites and challenges, but with dedication, attending office hours, and seeking clarification when needed, you can achieve your goal.

Being from the Bronx is a significant advantage, as representation truly matters. Imagine the joy of patients from your hometown when they discover their nurse shares the same background as them!

0