Ella D.’s Avatar

Ella D.

46

2

Do certain schools look better when applying to medical school?

Like what do people from some schools have a better chance of getting into med school as others?
#medschool #medicine #medical-school #doctor #nursing #college-selection

The question you have asked has been asked for decades. Is it necessary to go to an Ivy League School to get into Medical School. No!! Does it help. That depends on how well you as it does in every college or university you attend. I went to Juniata College. It has always been known as an excellent Liberal Arts College, which at the time had an excellent pre-med program, which it may very well today. During my four years there we had a transfer from Harvard. Although, Harvard is an excellent University, he was happier at Juniata. As you would expect, he did very well at Juniata. In our graduating class we had students go on to many Universities, including Ivy League, as well as MIT. The best advise I can give you, which was the same my wife and I gave our three children. Visit all the schools you believe are those that you would like to attend to bring your dreams true and most of all visit them. Believe me, you will know. Remember, talk to your teachers and your school councilors. They know you as well as the schools you would like to attend.
Last updated Oct 16 '17 at 21:31

<span style="background-color: transparent;">Collegeboard.org is a great resource for this! I poured through the pages of universities all over the U.S. when I was a senior in high school. Collegeboard was my go-to site! They put all of the information in one place and it is very easy to use. They even have various filters you can apply to see only colleges that have programs you are interested. To determine academic rigor, look at the admissions requirements, G.P.A. of past admitted applicants, SAT/ACT scores, class rank etc. This will give you an idea of what scores and grades you need to be accepted. However, don't be discouraged your application will be reviewed based on the full picture! College-board will help you get an idea of what is most important to the specific school you are applying to.</span>

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• <span style="background-color: transparent;">Chat with your Guidance Counselor</span>
  • <span style="background-color: transparent;">Create a Collegeboard.org account</span>
  • <span style="background-color: transparent;">Start using CollegeBoard as a resource to look up schools.</span>

Last updated Apr 04 at 13:51
The short answer is: it depends. There are scenarios where going to a certain school might set you apart from the rest of the applicants if everything else is equal. However, it is also possible to get into medical school from smaller schools that may not have the reputation of Ivy League schools or big name schools. I have several peers that have got into medical school from small name schools and also some that have gotten into medical school from bigger schools. At the end of the day, what you put into your education and what you get out of it matters more! Good Luck!
Last updated Dec 25 '17 at 21:02