Chandler F.

121

2

Should sport management undergrads get their master’s degree?

I’ve heard that if a sport management student wants to make more than $40k when they enter the job market, they need to obtain a graduate degree — is this true? #sports #sports-management #masters-degree #sports-media #college #higher-education #career

Hello Chandler, To determine whether or not you should pursue an advanced degree you should research the job market. Option 2: For example an entry level sports management marketing manager salary scale of $29k- 45K. This job will require Essential Duties And Responsibilities • Promote products through face to face meetings • Build long standing relationships with clients within the area. • Service the needs of each existing account • Handle additional sales and marketing objectives Attributes Of Ideal Candidates • A passion for the Sports Industry • Exceptional Work Ethic • Professionalism • Ability to Multi-Task • Ability to provide superior customer service • Competitive Nature and a Positive Attitude • Ability to work independently or with a team and produce results • Flexibility and Creative Problem Solving Skills Option 2 For example if you would like to teach as a professor in sports management in the future you will be required to obtain a Master's Degree and Ph.D. along with a few years of experience organizations and in corporate business settings related to sport management. Good Luck!
Last updated Dec 08 '17 at 12:02

Chandler, I work in job placement in San Antonio. One of the things I've noticed, is, when the job market got really bad, 2008-2015, a lot of people who could not find jobs went to school. And then, when they could not find respectable jobs with their Bachelor degrees, they went ahead and got their Masters. And then they entered the job market. With no real experience. The jobs that required the Masters also required experience. The lower positions turned them away as "over-qualified." Nobody wanted them. I also recently had a customer who went straight through, getting his Masters as a Math Teacher. He had been teaching for 3 months, when he decided it was not for him. A very sad situation. I caution you to be careful. I'd recommend you take a couple years to get some relevant experience between the Bachelors and Masters. During that time, you might get a better idea of exactly what you want to be doing, which might be something different than you thought. You also might find an employer who offers tuition assistance. That would be awesome! Best of luck! Kim
Last updated Dec 03 '17 at 23:46

From my experience, a professional sports career requires a compromise, especially when it comes to salary. The openings are few and far in between. Having a Master's may assist you in climbing the sports management ladder, but you most likely aren't going to start there. When I graduated with my BS in Sports Management, the degree was relatively new. If you have an opportunity to pursue a Master's, then I would encourage you to do so. Not for the immediate career, but for the future opportunities.
Last updated Dec 01 '17 at 10:00

As the job market continues to become more competitive, companies that would previously be satisfied with a 4-year college graduate are now seeking more to differentiate their employees/companies. Business is one of the most competitive industries and a graduate degree can mean the difference of entering a company at $40k vs $90k. In my experience, taking the extra 2 years to get a masters degree yields invaluable return. Go for it!
Last updated Nov 30 '17 at 13:21

Schools Add a school