5
Updated 876 views Translate

Is it worth it to get a job only for the month of college winter break?

I am home for winter break right now and want to get a job so I am not doing anything after New Years. Applying for jobs is even harder because I can't drive and must be able to walk there and back every day I work.

#job-search #online #remote-work #part-time #college-jobs

5

0

Racheal’s Answer

Hi Leah,
Yes, it's always worth it to secure the bag! Many college students, including myself, found seasonal work and may time, they hire on the spot. This would be from gift wrapping places in the mall; and grocery stories because people are buying, buying, and buying and there is so much work to do to stay stocked up; hospitals as support staff; restaurants as servers; and fast food joints.

Most people try to look for work for a few months like during October (Halloween - Thanksgiving) to find seasonal work. I would say if you can find a job, find one, that you can always go back to when you have breaks, that way you do not have to keep applying to different places every year. Some of those places are restaurants or franchise stores like Target. They are less likely to turn you away or let you down because they are well aware of all the help they need.

Please be encouraged, and do what you feel will help you financially. College is hard, and having extra money is a good thing.

0
0

M’s Answer

Hi Leah! I would suggest just applying to the places near your home. Extra cash is always great during the holidays. Just apply and see where that leads, best of luck to you!
0
0

Simeon’s Answer

If you are bored and looking for a way to make money, getting a job in retail for a month wouldn't hurt. Just be sure that you actually want to spend your month off working. It may not be as good a fit for you as you might think, especially if you've never done retail work before. Holiday retail work can be super hectic!
0
0

Win’s Answer

Depending on what types of work you are interested in doing, there are several local and remote internships and volunteer opportunities. VolunteerMatch and Internships.com are good resources for finding potential opportunities. Even if unpaid, such roles can offer valuable experiences. Other job boards (e.g., LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, SimplyHired, Google Careers, AngelList) often also provide internship opportunities, although many will last for longer than just winter break.

I would also say that there can be a lot of value in giving yourself a break to recharge and enjoy other aspects of life beyond work/school/your career. Relax, enjoy activities and people you may not have had the time for during school, find a new hobby, explore an interest, try doing something you've never done before or are afraid of doing. Your career can afford you a lot in life - a sense of meaning and purpose, a means of income, a way to express your talents and passions, a means of improving the world - but life has other things to offer too. There will be few times in your life when you have this much free time to experience it all! work-life-balance
0
0

Courtney’s Answer

Hi Leah,
Happy Holidays ! When I was in college, one of my jobs was at the grocery store. It was a large chain so the managers would allow me to be "borrowed" when I went home for the holidays. So try something like that. Also, as far as interviews go, let the employer know your distance if you are close. Also let them know you are available on weekends or some nights. If you are open to the unpopular shifts, let them know as well.
Best Wishes
winterbreak jobs college
0