What is something you wish someone would have told you before heading off to college?

I'm asking because going to college can be a big change and I want to prepare in any way I can.
#college #life-transitions #college-advice

8

Lisa’s Answer

Before heading off to college, I wish I had taken the time to plan and prepare for my college life, which could include seeking advice from others to self research. There are two main areas that advanced planning would have helped me to start of my college days on the right path. First, I wish I had researched the various opportunities the college had to offer, such as social and academic clubs to include determining the steps to join prior to first day of college. While I enjoyed the social years of my college life, I found that I went along with the flow of the friends that surrounded me instead of taking the time to understand all the opportunities available and grow my own interests. Second, I wish I had approached my college career as a day job from the beginning of my college life, using my time in between classes to study. While everyone may have an approach that works best for them, for me I learned the hard way after my academics suffered in the first years of college requiring me to change majors. I shifted my approach to a 9-5 day, and in between classes went to the library or a quiet study place on campus. As a result, I was earning A's un upper level accounting classes, instead of staying up late at night studying, and another benefit was that I could enjoy evenings and weekends relaxing and socializing without worrying about studying! Finding a balance between the new found freedom of college life and starting your life with your college career is a challenge, and advanced planning may help with good choices and help you grow (instead of being absorbed in the go with the flow new found freedom of college life). Enjoy the college journey!

0

Lisa’s Answer

0

Charles’s Answer

I wish my parents would have warned me about finances. Which includes student credit cards, etc. They taught me nor told me anything about finances, which unfortunately hurt me for quite a long time. I maxed out several credit cards and took me a long time to rebuild my credit for lower interest car payments, getting a house, etc.

So I would say besides the possible normal things: make friends, be careful at parties, take breaks for studying so you don't get burned out, etc. Make sure that you are stable with your finances and don't get caught up in trying to keep up with college friends, etc. Mom & Dad may be have more money than your parents and pay for that OR they may be getting themselves in financial holes. Especially if you have student loans that you'll have to pay for when you leave college.

0

Treat school like a job. Get up early, get to work and when your work is done at the end of the day, you can spend time on social life or organizations.

Go to class. Plan to spend 2-3 hours studying for every hour of lecture. Attend your professor's office hours and any TA review sessions. If there is a test bank, use that as a study tool to understand what your professor wants you to focus on for the test.

0

Kristen’s Answer

I wish someone had told me that it's okay if it takes you a while to find friends you want to keep for the rest of your life and that your roommate doesn't have to become your best friend. Also get involved- whether it's a club that sparks your interest, residence hall government, sports, research, or student leadership related, many of your best college memories are going to come from activities outside the classroom. Also your RA really is there to help and they want to help. If you need something please go ask.

0

Krista’s Answer

I wish someone told me how extremely important it is to plan everything and most of all, how to learn best.

An amazing book is 'how we learn' by Benedict Carey but you can look it up on youtube. I wish we had that option back then too. Of almost every book is a tedtalk or a youtube film. That will help you to get the content a lot faster. There is also this brain coach online: Jim Kwik. He has lots of podcasts on iTunes that are amazing to learn faster, read faster and remember everything better. www.kwikbrain.com

0

Do the things that allow you to maintain a healthy perspective on life. If you like to run, try to jog regularly to stay healthy. Volunteering can often help to get students out of their study bubble and show them that others have much greater problems than the score on their next test. Many people are heavily involved in church groups and community outreach.

0