How can I have an easy transition from a community college to a 4-year university?

Asked Dallas, Texas

I plan on transferring to an undecided four year University and am scared that the transition will be tough on me. Is there any way I can ensure that I will be able to thrive in and enjoy my new environment?
#communitycollege #transfer #college-transfer #transition #social #mental-health #budgeting

Hwal’s Answer

Updated Roanoke, Virginia

Nabeeha,

I transferred with my associate's degree from a community college to a university to get my bachelor's degree not too long ago, so can speak from my personal experience. Many schools have what they call articulation agreements for specific majors and programs where most or all of the credits you earn at a community college well automatically be accepted and transferred to the university or college you've decided to transfer to, which makes your life a lot easier that way. Most of the time, this information is published on the school websites, but you can otherwise contact the school staff where you're interested in transferring to and find out how they can help.

Apart from the above, make sure you enjoy what you're doing at a community college and to your best in all the classes for your associate's degree. Also, it always helps to consider where each school is, whether you might need to relocate, work, and how to pay for school, because all of these will help you make the best choice for your given situation. Last but not least, consider what kind of social support you have, like friends, family, counsellor, etc.

Hwal

Hwal recommends the following next steps:

• Research possible articulation agreements between different schools to see if and how many of your credits will transfer

Sean’s Answer

This is a great question. My own daughter went to community college and then transitioned to a university. In her case, the community college had a direct transfer program or partnership with a group of universities. This relationship ensured that her community college credits transferred to the new university. Next, look for a school that matches your interest, and personal outlook. For example, if you want to be a movie producer, find out what colleges have these types of programs, and if they do, ask yourself if you are willing to live in the area where the new school is located. Additionally, it is important to have a willingness to learn about other people and places. This will help you transition to a new school because you already have a positive outlook. Next, you should investigate the new school by researching online, visiting the school (if possible), and of course try to make contact with current and former students. Most schools have people that volunteer to help new students learn about the school and the surrounding community.

Sean recommends the following next steps:

• Develop a set of Goals. Understand why these goals will help you succeed.
  • Become involved with the school culture.
  • Understand that you are learning because you want to do the job that you will love to do.

Hi Nabeeha,

When I graduated high school, it was commonplace for several of my classmates to attend community college for 2 years and then transfer to a university (in my case it was often the University of Alabama). My advice would be to start scouting out what universities you would like to attend, contact their admissions department and inquire as to how your credits would transfer. Once you have this information, it will be easy to establish a transition plan for you to move from community college to a university. This plan will also help guide you on what sorts of classes you can take to ensure the transfer-ability.

Thanks!

Mike